Gmail email addresses

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Angelo921, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Angelo921 macrumors 6502

Is there a way when you start typing a letter for an email address to send to in the "To" field on my iPhone not to bring up a whole list of email addresses that start with that letter of the alphabet? Many of those email addresses are ones that I maybe just emailed the person once through my gmail account on my computer. I have gmail setup as exchange on the iPhone and dont only have it set to sync my mail and calendar, not contacts.

thanks
    Angelo

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Ah, you let gmail save them, since it's on the default thing, so you got them all imported as contacts. Delete them from gmail, change the contact settings. But you'll have to do a restore to get rid of any you've actually used from your phone, or they'll keep popping up.

3. Angelo921 thread starter macrumors 6502

The thing is that I actually don't have them saved in my contacts in my iPhone. They just appear in the "To" drop down box when I type a letter to start sending an email.

4. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Yeah but they are saved in gmail. Since you set up as exchange you need to get rid of them on gmail first, change the settings in your gmail account to not save everyone you ever email.

5. Angelo921 thread starter macrumors 6502

I went through and deleted them all in gmail but I cant find the setting anywhere not to save them going forward. By any chance do you know where in gmail that's at? Thanks for your help.

6. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Maybe this is it under the general settings tab?

Attached Files:

7. Angelo921 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes you were right, i found it under the general settings, thank you very much!

8. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

No problem, hope it works out for you.