GMail Exchange not working

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by mixstar336, Jun 11, 2013.

1. mixstar336 macrumors regular

has anyone else noticed that using googles exchange server to get gmail pushed is no longer working? I have contacts/calendar working fine but Mail fails.

2. profets macrumors 68040

I've been using Gmail through an Exchange connection for a long time and it's been working for me on iOS7.

Few friends of mine have experienced the push not working for a few days and then working again. The Gmail experience is getting frustrating on iOS.

3. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Didnt work for me either (and I've always used it). Ended up doing it as 'other' then manually adding a caldav and carddav to sync contacts and calendars - the end result is the same as using exchange.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Push Triggers is nice update. Google could update GMail to refresh contents of app from a Push Trigger.

Still, iOS7 disappointed me with the lack of ability of choosing default apps for: Mail, Maps, Calendar, etc.

If it had both the above, GMail app would finally be a viable replacement.

I guess still can be, if they update for Push Triggers. Hide the actual Mail app away somewhere in my unused built in apple apps folder. And just have outgoing configured via iMap for all the share menus. It may be viable now... hrmmm

5. BenGieCruz macrumors member

BenGieCruz

Does anybody found a way to disable the archive feature?:mad:

6. chrfr macrumors 603

7. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

If you've set up the phone as a new device, it may be that you're simply no longer able to use Exchange (Google discontinued free Exchange service for new users/devices as of January 30) ...

8. theturtle macrumors 6502a

I thought it was extended to July 31st.

Does anyone have the settings on how to set up Gmail exchange on iOS 7? Im getting an error everytime.

Second question.
    I set up my gmail through fetch and i can't for the life of me, find how to reply to freaking emails.

9. AnionicStrength macrumors member

10. fraggot macrumors 6502

It's based on your device on a hardware level, you should be able to restore it just fine and it still work. It's a new device entirely that it shouldn't work on.

11. BenGieCruz macrumors member

BenGieCruz

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Does this tidbit from the Beta4 notes fix your issue?

13. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Holy crap yes it does! Exchange gmail now working again on my iPhone 5 because the server no longer thinks it is a new device. Still out of luck on my iPad mini because I bought it after Jan 31 but at least I have it back on my phone. Thanks for pointing this out!

14. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I wonder if it's possible to hack that identifier? I'd jailbreak for that reason alone ...

15. sziehr macrumors 6502a

this is the reason i am moving away from google. I was using this just fine for the longest time. This is a means to shove me into there app or force me to pay i will take the 3rd option just find a new service it is not that hard. I have had issues with getting my beta testing ipad to use google i think the new ios install generated a new token for exchange and as such goolge is not authenticating.

16. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Mine stopped working for a while, but then suddenly started working again with Beta 4.

I turned it off anyway though since the actual Gmail app is far superior to Apple's Mail app.

Most important to me is the search feature. Gmail app can search all of your emails, while the stock Mail app can only search for mail that you've downloaded to your phone ,which is limited to however long you specify (personally I used to only go 4 weeks back), unless you don't mind using up tons of GBs for mail.

Gmail app is just better-looking and more functional for me.

17. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

See post 12

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Unfortunately not as fast as the stock Mail app and no offline support either.

19. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

What do you mean by not as fast? Do you mean how Gmail takes a second to refresh the message list when opening the app? If so, yeah that would be my only gripe. But it's a very minor complaint for me, considering I get full search functionality and don't have to download all of my email to my phone. Navigation-wise, I feel like both apps are pretty much the same. I also think Gmail is more appealing to the eye.

As for offline... Could be an issue for some, but I personally can't think of a single instance where I've ever needed offline email. For my use, I check my email to receive email, and I write email to send email... neither of which are possible (or plausible) offline.

The search functionality still trumps everything for me. I just absolutely love it. It's so fast, and searches my entire email account.

20. fortheus, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

fortheus macrumors regular

Totally wrong! iOS mail can search server side email if it use imap/exchange protocol.

21. bushido Suspended

bushido

speaking of gmail on iOS7. anyone else having issues "deleting" emails? i always get an error message and than the email goes away but it is actually still there when i look on my other devices (on the server basically) and when i check the gmail settings in the mail app on iOS7 i noticed there are no "delete" or "trash" folders to pick from. only "incoming" this may be the culprit

22. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Does it? They must have added that then, because I wasn't able to do that a couple years ago on my iPhone 4.

Anyway, Gmail stopped supporting Exchange for new phones now, so it doesn't even matter.

FWIW, I just tried it and it only searched the past month (since I have my sync limit in Gmail's POP settings set to 4 weeks). Not to mention, the search results are kind of delayed. In the actual Gmail app, they're instant.

Still like Gmail app better.

23. fortheus macrumors regular

The problem is because you use POP. Exchange and IMAP always work to search server side.

Google not using real Exchange, google sync use custom and there was known issue not able to search server side.

The problem with gmail app is it's web wrapper, not fully native client. It also didn't optimize page width for wide emails causing you need to scroll horizontally.

Due to gmail app is web wrapper, it's very limited for offline support.

Depends on everyone usage, I prefer to have my email fully fetched to iOS mail app with trade off extra step/lower server side query for old emails compared with the pain that I need to wait my email to be loaded everytime I open the gmail app.