Gmail Exchange push vs IMAP fetch delivery speeds?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by dictoresno, Feb 16, 2013.

1. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Since the issue now with Gmail no longer supporting ActiveSync Exchange, has anyone here bothered setting up as IMAP?

My device and the 2 Gmail addresses I have on it are legacy and continue to get Exchange push, as I've always had. Just to test, I set up a third Gmail account and attempted to set it up as an Exchange. It did set up, but when I went to refresh the mailbox, it gave the "cannot connect to server" error that I thought it would. So this proves that new Gmail accounts, on old devices, are not supported.....which is fine.

I then set my third email up as IMAP, and set to fetch every 15 minutes. I sent myself a few test emails from my Gmail Exchange account to my IMAP one and consistently get the mail within 2 minutes of hitting send. Sure its not immediate push, but 2 minutes, I can live with. Is this normal for IMAP? I mean with all of this fuss over not being able to have Exchange, IMAP times are very reasonable. Also, I can delete emails and move them to folders (labels) just like in my Exchange account. I checked the web mailbox and it perfectly duplicates what Exchange did.

What times are you guys seeing on IMAP delivery? It seems just as good as Exchange. And for the record, I dont use Gmail for calendar or contacts sync, just for mail. So will this no longer having Exchange not even effect me that much then? As I understand, it will effect people alot more that need calendar and contacts.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

I haven't done any measurements but even 2 minutes would occasionally be quite irritating to me as I use the my iPhone to test outgoing mail on other devices.

A casual user probably wouldn't know the difference.

One workaround would be to set up the Gmail app for push notifications and use the stock Mail app to read them. I've said it before but I hope someone will write a jailbreak tweak that opens the stock mail app from a Gmail app notification.