Gmail Fetch vs Gmail App

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sandmanfvr, Aug 11, 2014.

1. sandmanfvr macrumors member

There is so much info on this, I have googled and searched these forums, and hate to open a thread. SO any mods want to put links to info and close this, that is perfectly fine! :D

My wife just got fed up with android (long story and not making this android vs. ios at all) and said she wants an iPhone and wants a 4.7 inch iPhone 6. Ok she has had Gmail forever and changing isn't an option and I know that the first part of 2013, no more push for new ios devices (thanks Google :rolleyes: ). So I have thought of how to do this and wonder which is better:

1. Gmail account setup, using Fetch in default ios mail app.
    2. Gmail account setup, UNCHECK mail and install Gmail app.
    3. Setup her account as a business account (which she does use it for work).

How long is the fetch speed normally, and I know this can vary wildly but is it not to bad? I am not sure if she really needs "instant" email as she does her work on Facebook and with Facebook push is there, but if fetch is slow like 10 minutes or longer might be an issue. The Gmail app has gotten better, how is it on push and such?

Again sorry for a redundant thread but trying to figure this out and she will want it setup right and NOT changing her email. Thanks.

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It checks for mail every 15 minutes. If that's too slow, you could set up an iCloud forwarding address.

3. I7guy macrumors G5

As far as I can tell the gmail app is nearly instantaneous.

4. sandmanfvr thread starter macrumors member

Thanks both for the reply, I found the fetch delay was minimum 15 after I posted, I will talk to her but I am thinking doing her account on the phone minus email and then the Gmail app might be best. Does the app have to be running/open to get the emails pushed now with background processing?

5. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

The Gmail app is actually pretty good in my experience. The mail app never integrated with Gmail very well.

6. sandmanfvr thread starter macrumors member

Testing the gmail app now, actually impressed with the speed and response. If this was that good when I changed over to ios I might have kept my email, I think I will set her up like this.

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I use the mail app provided by the iphone. Whenever I open the MAIL, it will go to all of my accounts (5 of them) and get the mail.

Unless there is a reason to have email PUSHED to the phone and alert you, this works great. Everytime I check my email, there it is... or within a minute while it downloads the current email.

I did the push thing and alerts for a few days when doing a deal on my house, and it drove me nuts. Turned it off.

8. sohaloh macrumors regular

I use a service called nuevasync. It's for $30 a year and acts as an exchange sever to push all your email to the default app. It's been working perfectly for me for the last year. There's also a 30 day free trial if you want to check it out.

9. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

I'd beenusing fetch and had issues. The Mail app acts as if emails I've already read/deleted are still unread and shows them again in the inbox, sometimes this happens 3 or 4 times, sometimes it would show there being 1 unread email even when the inbox is empty or all emails there are visible, and looking online there are no unread emails; refreshing didn't fix, it would just fix itself eventually.

I switched to the Gmail app and it now works flawlessly.

10. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

The Gmail app is very good, one of my favorite apps to use (wish I can use it as the default for my other mail accounts..). And push works great on it.

11. sandmanfvr thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all for the replies, I will request the thread be closed. She does need push email and I plan to go Gmail app and then sync normally her calendar and contacts in the iPhone. Gald the Gmail app has gotten this good.

12. nostresshere macrumors 68030

The native mail app on the phone will do this as well.

And it allows you to pull in other email accounts if you have them.

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Not if push is needed.

14. nostresshere macrumors 68030

oops...I thought I read that she did NOT need push.

Reading skills often fail me.

15. sandmanfvr thread starter macrumors member

She confirmed to me after work yesterday she does need push, thus I plan on setting her up on the Google account, no email and then the Gmail app. If that causes issues, will look to upgrade her account but I think the Gmail app will work fine.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

You could also set up the Gmail account on the phone and just set it not to check mail. Then the Gmail app can notify of new messages via push and she could use the Mail app to actually go and read those messages and reply to them and all that.

17. sandmanfvr thread starter macrumors member

I could but she likes stream lined, to many steps and she gets annoyed. :D I have to do switching on the entertainment center on hdmi and then surround sound, SO 1 place for email will save my nerves lol.

18. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

The one thing I don't like about the Gmail app is that you can't set it to open links in Safari by default. I know you can hit the little button in the bottom corner of the link to open in Safari, but it should be an option to just open in Safari automatically.

19. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Wait a minute....

When I did the push, I was still using the native mail app.

I just checked, it can be set to PUSH!

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Google changed things early last year--any new devices being set up since that time don't have the push option, while older devices that already had it set up can still use it.

21. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Wow - interesting stuff.

Like I said - I had that set to push and it drove me nuts. There are NO emails that I need to pay immediate attention to.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Different people different needs/wants.