Gmail Hard Drive App?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by legaleye3000, Dec 14, 2007.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

I heard if you have GMail you can use their space as a hard drive....

Is there any program that lets you do this and then retrieve on Windows computers? Also, let you access on another MAC without the hard drive program installed?

Thanks

2. sethypoo macrumors 68000

3. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you need the program to access the files?

Basically, where do you go to access the files if I use a second computer that doesn't have GDisk installed? Thanks!

4. cardsdoc macrumors regular

Out of curiosity I just tried it. It kept crashing on my 10.5.1 system trying to set it up and I couldn't use it. I found a couple other users with similar problems. So it may not work with Leopard yet.

5. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Lets say it works. It installs and you are able to backup something to GMail...

How do you retrieve what you backed up? Do you have to use the program to retrieve?

6. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Good point, I haven't tried it since I installed Leopard. Wait for a developer update.

You don't need the program at other computers, because GDisk just uploads the file to a draft, and it's kept in your "Drafts" folder in Gmail. You just open the draft and download the file.

7. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

So can't you just upload the files in a draft without using the program?

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

dude

No, how would you do that? That's what the program DOES. It enables you to upload files to your gmail account.

IN fact, GDisk is free. Why not just download it and find out?

9. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Yes, I suppose you could, but GDisk has a better interface for managing your files. Give it a try, it works!

Watch out if you're using Leopard. As noted above, it may crash your system.

10. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

I am using Leopard... I guess I'll wait til they update it...

When you go into your drafts to retrieve, does it download the files as when they were backed up, or does the program put them into a different format meaning you need the program to actually retrieve them?

11. sethypoo macrumors 68000

So far as I know, the program leaves them in the file type they were uploaded as.

12. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Thanks for the tip on GDisk - I did not know about this. Very interesting... I'll be trying it this weekend on my Tiger PB.

I wonder if anyone has written a Windows client too so that you can cross-platform this. Since I'm on a PC during the day and a Mac at night, it would be cool to avoid the whole thumb drive thang....

13. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I found GDisk (when I tried it back in the day) to be rather simple and inadequate for my desired use of my GMail account as an external storage device.

I've since given up on the idea, there just isn't anything that is robust enough out there at the mo'.

14. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm basically looking for an 'iDisk" replacement because I want to drop .Mac.