Gmail has full Capabilities with Safari Now!

OldCorpse

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Check out your Gmail account on Safari. It has chat etc. Great for all us Safari users! BTW here is a pic or two.
What does "now" mean? "Now" in Safari 3 Leopard, or "now" as far as Google fixing the issue for all Safari builds? I don't think it's the latter, as in my Tiger Safari 2.0.4 (419.3) fully updated, Gmail is as broken as always... need to use Firefox for full Gmail functionality. What's "now"?

noshooz

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
Central Maryland
It's joyfully working for me now, too, in Safari 3 on Leopard. My guess would be that the change was a result of the updated Safari.

rdf8585

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2006
Nothing different on 2.0.4 (419.3). I hope this is fully resolved in Safari 3 final for Tiger.

Same for Google docs.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Why was my post deleted?

Anyway I think this is really great! I have been missing chat in Gmail a lot with Safari...

djejrejk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
Uhh...
What does "now" mean? "Now" in Safari 3 Leopard, or "now" as far as Google fixing the issue for all Safari builds? I don't think it's the latter, as in my Tiger Safari 2.0.4 (419.3) fully updated, Gmail is as broken as always... need to use Firefox for full Gmail functionality. What's "now"?
Safari 3 on Leopard has much more functionality than Safari 3 on Tiger. Some examples are the Google Talk feature and the new contacts menu.

Brendon Bauer

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Good 'ol USofA
Have none of you noticed? Safari 3 breaks auto-complete with the new Gmail. Your addresses don't auto-complete when composing mail. This makes it very hard to use, and a pain in the butt! You can go back to the old version, but every time you log in it reverts to the new version...

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Hey, Gmail Chats now enabled on Safari.

Anyone noticed that the chat in Gmail, long since a feature Safari cannot use, has today just been enabled?

On Safari 3.0, by the way. No clue if it works on 2.0 or below.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
Gmail upgrade??

Just logged into Gmail and it seems they have rolled out an upgrade.

The first thing I noticed is that instead of the word "loading" appearing in a red box in the top right corner, I saw "loading" as black test near the upper left corner.

More importantly, gchat works in safari! Up until now it never worked for me.

Anybody else notice the same?

I wonder whats up...there was an auto update for gmail notifier last night also. I can't find anything online about it though. Maybe I'm going crazy...

Edit: just noticed a button that says "old version"...if I click that it takes me to the old, gchat-less version. So I guess this is real. Where's the hype?

Edit2: My post was merged here in by the gods...i'm not crazy :)

dogtanian

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Bournemouth, UK
Gmail always worked in Safari for me.

Google Docs still has many functions that don't work in Safari however! Annoying. Me and a colleague are trying to work on a powerpoint presentaition and Safari just gets confused sometimes.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Check out your Gmail account on Safari. It has chat etc. Great for all us Safari users! BTW here is a pic or two.
OMG!!!!!!!!! im a big fan of gmail, and use gmail ALOT, its my primary account, this is pleasing news, although i may integrate it with Mail, but the new gmail interface is nice, still didnt get to play with it tho :(

Joelis

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
It also works in iChat, which means you can video chat over GMail. (Only to other iChat users though). I myself use Mail for my GMail, which runs a lot faster than the GMail site does!

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
For those of you with the "new" Gmail AND Leopard, do you have problems with your computer not automatically going to sleep?

I've noticed if I leave the new version of Gmail open and walk away, my computer is never asleep when I come back. But as long as it's not open, my computer sleeps fine. Anyone else noticing this?

VforVelveta

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Has anyone got chat to work on Safari on Windows?

I have version 3.0.3 and so far as I can tell there aren't any updates to it, but when I load Gmail, its still on the old version, though IE can get to the new version...