Gmail has push feature now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by filex, Oct 22, 2008.

1. filex macrumors newbie

I don't know if you anyone has noticed it or not but I got my emails pushed to me with in less than 2 mins of emails showing in inbox of gmail to my iphone. Does that mean gmail pushes emails now?

2. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

+1.

(You don't by chance have your phone auto-checking do you? Dumb question but I have to ask before someone else does)

3. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

As far as I know, Google has not official announced Push Gmail for any other device except for the G1.

snverhallen

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

This is most likely a bug in 2.1 as it's happening to me with ALL IMAP accounts, not just Gmail.

5. filex thread starter macrumors newbie

I noticed it today, since I was logged in to my gmail and with in a min or two of a new email I got it in my iphone. It could be a coincidence or a bug in 2.1. I thought g00gle might have started push on the day of G1 lunch.

Either way, even if it is a bug, I am happy that I get my emails right away.

6. psywzrd macrumors 68030

If this is a bug I'll take more just like it:D.

7. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

Can someone please quickly explane to me what the difference between IMAP and POP is? I have gmail and a 3G iPhone and my gmail is set to POP. I check my email via two methods, either my iPhone or the Mail application(I never actually go to the gmail website and check it there).I like how everything is set up now except how it takes a long time to get to my phone. Also, if I check my mail on my iPhone, I then have to clear it on mail, and if I ever go to the gmail website I have to delete like a hundred emails since I never go on there. I think its on POP because that was the default way back when I got gmail? Should I change to IMAP/would it benefit me in anyway?:confused:
    Thanks!

8. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

In other threads the consensus seemed to be that it's a bug, where the iPhone would be constantly checking for email.

9. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Especially when you see the battery life drop as much as it is.

10. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

If you want changes you make in one location to be reflected in other locations, then yes, you need to change to IMAP.

11. bstpierre macrumors 6502

A longer explanation is that POP downloads a copy of the mail to your mail client. You can have it delete it from the server than, later or never. If you want to check your mail with multiple clients you need to keep it on the server until that is accomplished. Each client downloads their copy. This means if you read it in one client, none of the others know that so you get to read it in all the clients.

IMAP keeps the mail on the server. Your client accesses the server whenever it wants to do anything with the message. If you read it on one client the server knows about it. The next client you read it on looks at the server and sees that it is read and treats it that way. If it looks at the server and sees it is deleted, it will delete if from your client.

IMAP is definitely the way to go if you want to read your mail from more than one client.

12. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Oh - I understand now. I thought it was just a bug where somehow the gmail was actually getting pushed to the phone. I guess that wouldn't make sense though since Google would have to implement push services for the iphone (and other phones) to gmail. I really hope they do that. It doesn't make sense to me that they would only implement for Android phones since that feature alone is certainly not going to steer people towards Android when there are several workarounds for the iphone.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I honestly don't think it's a bug. My battery life does not suffer. I use my iPhone 2G (as it's being called) all day talking on the phone for maybe 30 minutes on average and playing games/using Safari to check this site (haha) while at work. My battery usually drops to maybe 3/4ths. I've NEVER had it drop to less than 1/2 with a full days use. This may not be normal but it's my experience.

All that said, I get Gmail pushed to me on wifi in about 8 seconds (yes I timed it). On EDGE it's about 10 minutes so that's not really push but it's better than my hourly Fetch. I honestly don't know why some people's iPhones die so quickly.

Fetch: Hourly
    Push: Enabled
    Location Services: On
    Wifi: On
    Ask to Join Networks: On

14. gothemi8 macrumors newbie

For those that have Gmail with Push what are your settings? I already followed what Gmail said to do to have Push but it still does not work. I did not use the Gmail tab in the mail setup I put all the settings in myself. It does work properly when I open up Mail but it would be nice if I was able to have push Gmail. So help me out please!!

15. trunksu macrumors 6502

i basically just have PUSH on and fetch set to every 30min. i have no idea why it works but as Warbrain said it's likely a bug in 2.1

i should mention it "doesn't" always PUSH to the phone right away. i wish they would fix fetch or make GMAIL officially push.

16. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

mail is b0rked in 2.1. specially background fetch when in sleep (and on battery).

17. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

Alright, thank you for that!

18. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i dont have this bug.

i wonder why some of you have it.