GMail Help Moving from Droid to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Ok both my kids and my wife have android devices on VZ and they are moving to iPhones but how do I sync their GMail stuff like cal and contacts to their new iPhones.

I do not want to lose the data.

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I thought Gmail automatically syncs between devices, and that is why so many people use it.

3. Jakkar macrumors newbie

4. weespeed macrumors 6502

If you use a pc, you can sync outlook with gmail and google calendar. Then sync outlook with your iPhone.

There is a program you can download for the cal. Not sure on the contacts.

5. illutionz macrumors 65816

What you want to do is to sync all your contacts and calendar from your droid to Google server...

Once you moved to iPhone, we now need to set the Gmail Exchange Account (When setting up the email, do NOT pick Gmail icon, you want to pick the "Exchange" icon as shown in the guide below)
    http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252

One thing here though, the guide said you wanna use user@googlemail.com but I use user@gmail.com as the username and it works...

Once you get all this stuff set up, let's now go to the link below for the guide how to choose which calendar to sync
    http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=139206

With this setup, all your email, contacts, and calendar will be synced with google server AND you will get PUSH Gmail as well :)

Any question you can PM me. I moved from iPhone 3G to Nexus One and back to iPhone 4.... All using this wonderful method.

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The data's all in the cloud anyway, you can't really lose it.

7. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

+1

Data like e-mail, contact, and calendar (if done through Exchange) are never solely on the phone. Everything is on the Google cloud. Your phone could explode and nothing would change to any data you have lol.