Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

N-Y

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
so i've had my phone in the past check for mail every 30 minutes.... now that hotmail has updated there service to activesnc, i setup my hotmail account that way....

my push is on

my fetch is setup for every 30 minutes....

but now it doesnt seem like my gmail checks the account every 30 minutes, only when i get mail from my hotmail account

gmail is setup for fetch, and hotmail for push

N-Y

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
you want your hotmail to work via active sync?

its easy... setup account via microsoft exchange

email: put your email

Domain: leave black

username: email or without the @hotmail.com

password: put your password

Description: i changed it to Hotmail

press next

server: m.hotmail.com

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I have the same two on my phone via Exchange. You have to be patient and keep trying to delete the accounts then re-add them.

For me, I added my Hotmail. This worked, but it broke my gmail. So, I deleted gmail account, re-added it. Still didn't work. Deleted Gmail. Re-started phone. Didn't work. Repeated the same and then had to mess around with settings (like which folders it should fetch), then it finally worked. It did take a very very long time for it to sync my gmail emails (and this account has only 100-200 emails in it).

Oh yeah, set your gmail to push also, not fetch.

N-Y

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
when i go to advance settings for gmail, it only gives me option of fetch and manual

is it possible to setup gmail through microsoft exchange? and is it better then just selecting the gmail option to setup email on mail

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
when i go to advance settings for gmail, it only gives me option of fetch and manual

is it possible to setup gmail through microsoft exchange? and is it better then just selecting the gmail option to setup email on mail

just use gmail in an EAS like you did w. hotmail to get it to push!

N-Y

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
i just tried to setup gmail via Exchange, it keeps saying password is incorrect, i dunno why... i have the correct password put in

N-Y

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
actually just worked.....

so whats better gmail via gmail selection when u setup in mail, or via exchange?

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
actually just worked.....

so whats better gmail via gmail selection when u setup in mail, or via exchange?

They are using EAS for people that wanted push email (only way right now), if not then use normal gmail setup and fetch it. Besides that, searching in server is not working correctly using EAS yet in Gmail.
Also in the push settings for the mail you have to choose wish folders you want EAS to push from gmail, same in hotmail

N-Y

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2009
gmail now works with exchange.....

which one uses less battery fetch or push

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
gmail now works with exchange.....
which one uses less battery fetch or push

Depends on how many emails you receive a day and how many times you have it to fetch, if for example fetch every 1hr and you get emails through the whole day then the battery will last you more tan w/ push. The bad of fetch is that you don't receive your emails instantly while push which could drain your battery more (it usually does for most people) does.
Also w/ AES Gmail you can sync contacts and calendar, so everything is in gmail, ical and iphone and everything gets synced by air!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.