Gmail Icon on Home Screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raklos, Jul 31, 2008.

1. raklos macrumors newbie

I prefer to use gmail through safari on my iphone. The gmail for iphone works pretty well with email threads etc..

I have placed a bookmark on my home screen but I don't like it :(...
    The other google products have nice icons... e.g Reader, Photos etc...I don't know why they made an ugly gmail icon...

is there anything I could do about this?

Thanks

2. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Have you tried deleting it? if you don't like it, you can always delete it? press down on the icon until your icons start wiggling, then you can delete whatever bookmarks you put on your home screen..

I believe there's also a way to create a bookmark icon, I don't have a link to the procedure off hand though, but if you do a google search, it should yield some responses..

3. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

4. aggies2010 macrumors newbie

aggies2010

how do you have gmail pushed to your phone? do you mean fetched?

5. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

push? pop? fetch?

i understand some aspects of each (or at least i can guess) but with all this talk i'm gettin confused :confused:

6. raklos thread starter macrumors newbie

well basically it's just a regular bookmark placed on my homescreen. Navigate to www.gmail.com on your iPhone, tap the '+' icon then add to home screen. That's all it is.

7. aggies2010 macrumors newbie

aggies2010

If its a bookmark it can't utilize the notification feature correct, so how is it push?

8. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

PUSH - This means new emails get sent to your phone automatically (think SMS). You get a little tone and a shake. Gmail does not do this, but Yahoo mail does.

FETCH - This is the request for new mail. When you check your email manually, you are "fetching" it. You can set the phone to "auto-fetch" for you (in increments of 15, 30 and 60 minutes for example).

POP (and IMAP) - Styles of email services. Most of the time you'll be running IMAP, such as with Gmail.