Gmail icon showing on lock screen??

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Jmgilliam18, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Jmgilliam18 macrumors member

Jmgilliam18

My gmail icon is showing in lower left corner of my lock screen and I can't figure why.

Does anyone know?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This is the confusingly-named "Siri Suggestions" feature. You can disable it in Settings/General/Spotlight Search.

3. Jmgilliam18 thread starter macrumors member

Jmgilliam18

Ok thx. It's odd cause I don't really ever use the app. I thought it might be something for frequently used or last used but never could get anything else to show.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It does seem to be a bit buggy; it's supposed to "learn" when you use particular apps as a way of giving you quick access to what you're likely to want to run... and it gave me icons for games in the middle of the day (when I was at work) even though I only play them at night.

5. Jmgilliam18 thread starter macrumors member

Jmgilliam18

Should I disable just the spotlight search or the suggestions in search and look up?

6. Jmgilliam18 thread starter macrumors member

Jmgilliam18

Update.

I've got Siri suggestions disabled and still getting the gmail icon. I don't have it open in the background and haven't had open since first posted.

7. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Maybe it happens when you hit the geo spot after it learned you might want to use gmail at home most. So it offers it. Even if it is turned off, perhaps this or another device hasn't 'had it active', for it finally disappear without coming back.