Gmail, imap and entourage - email dates lost

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gjxyz, Nov 11, 2008.

1. gjxyz macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am currently moving to gmail from Entourage (2004) using IMAP and have a problem relating to the date stamp of the email once moved across to gmail.

Here is an example of the problem I am seeing:

If I move my inbox from Entourage to gmail, all the mail gets copied across ok, but if I view the mail within the gmail browser, it is all dated today (or the date I did the move.

If I then look closer at one of these emails, it does still have the correct information in it, i.e it does still say that it was sent say, february last year, but I think the gmail date stamp referes to the received date. Therefore, when shifting the mail across the received date has changed (in error really).

What this means is that if I now what to search in my new gmail for any emails sent by Mr. X to me in February, it will not find them as this email is now incorrectly dated within gmail.

Does anybody know of this problem or a solution to it? Perhaps I need to do something more than simply copy from Entourage inbox to gmail inbox?

I would greatly appreciate any help that is available, so thank you in advance!

(I do think these is a bit of a failing on the part of gmail by not being able to search by date sent. Gmail only seems to be able to search by date, which I find a bit ambiguous and unhelpful)

Regards

gjxyz

2. espressodaily macrumors newbie

I know this is a bit old, but I had the same problem. If you move the messages using Thunderbird between accounts (gmail IMAP and exchange IMAP) The dates are preserved.