Gmail, IMAP and multiple computers....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jimmieboy, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Jimmieboy macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

Hey everyone!

I had a bit of a question here! Okay, with IMAP and Gmail amnd my future MBP and current iMac. Can I set up my gmail account on both my macs, using IMAP (currently using POP on imac) and have all my messsages, all my sent, received, junk, etc on both of my computers? And if I say, delete one message, is it deleted on the other computer? Thats basically my question, but is it the same deal with dotmac? If I set up IMAP for more than one computer do the same answers to the above questions apply?

Thanks! Hope that isn't confusing!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

IMAP is IMAP is IMAP, it's pretty much the same thing no matter who provides it, Google or Apple or anyone else.

Yes, with IMAP what you're asking will happen. Mails deleted using Mail on your iMac will also go from the MPB. This is because you're actually reading all the mail from the server rather than locally, any changes you make (read/delete/file/flag) happen on the server, and so any client reading information from the server (over IMAP) reflects this.

3. Jimmieboy thread starter macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

So then I'd assume if you were working offline in Mail, then all the changes would be made when you connect back to the internet?

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk