Gmail, IMAP, Apple Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MadDoc, Nov 8, 2007.

1. MadDoc macrumors 6502

MadDoc

Like lots of other people - I'm pleased that Gmail is now supporting then IMAP protocol. I have already enabled it.

I have only just noticed though that I have 322 emails in my inbox but 2162 emails in All Mail!! My spam and trash is empty. How do I get rid of all of the emails in All Mail except for those in my inbox? There is no reason for me to keep every bloody email I have ever deleted!

I ask this because when I get my capped broadband connection next week I will set up Gmail IMAP with Apple Mail and I don't want to waste a lot of bandwidth deleting emails that I will immediately delete.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,

MadDoc

2. baummer macrumors 6502a

Within Gmail, when you click the Archive button, it puts the message into the Archive. The All Mail button access the Archive + Inbox. There are two ways messages get Archived:

1. By clicking Archive button

2. Having a filter configured to point certain messages

Are you, perhaps, archiving when you mean to delete? An easy way to get rid of the messages once you have confirmed that they are not messages you want to keep is to go to Gmail, search -is:inbox and then delete all of those messages.