Gmail IMAP "Cannot Send Mail"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SFStateStudent, Mar 12, 2008.

1. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I send and receive email, but I keep getting this error message "Cannot Send Mail" (In small text: The connection to the outgoing server "smtp.gmail.com" failed. And I've always pressed OK, 'cause the problem goes away, until I check my email or send an email. In the bottom of the email window it states: "Updated 3/12/08 5:09 PM 1 Unsent Message" I've gone into my Gmail account and everything is set up just fine. I'm stumped. :eek::confused:

2. ~*allison*~ macrumors regular

I had this problem after I upgraded. I called Apple support and the lady I spoke to told me to put "cwmx.com" in the outgoing mail server area. Of course, this will only work if you're using AT&T and have an Edge connection. At least that's what I was told. I used this for a day, then just deleted my gMail account setup from my phone, and set it back up and everything worked fine. Are you using 1.1.3 or 1.1.4? I just set mine back up by tapping on the gMail icon under mail settings and it worked fine. (With these versions it automatically sets it up as an IMAP account).

3. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

I also get this problem when I'm connected to certain wifi's i.e. School's. Once I turn wifi off and get back on the Edge Network.. I'm able to have my message sent.

4. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

BTW - are you having this problem when your on Edge or Wi-Fi?

5. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm 114 AT&T customer...

thru and thru. These messages are consistently coming up wether I'm on WiFi or EDGE. All of my messages are being sent in the normal timely fashion, but the dang "cannot send mail" message ALWAYS appears. I'm going to try the ~*Allison*~(gawd that's a bunch of typing Allison) "cwmx.com" thing right now! I'll post the results. Thanks All... :(

6. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

OK, did the ~*Allison*~ thing...

and no go; then I noticed that the email showed up in the OUTBOX, so I deleted it about 5X and it wouldn't go away. So, I did the other ~*Allison*~ thing and deleted the IMAP Account and Added a new IMAP account and "poof" it works like new! Thanks ALL! I learned something new. :cool::p

7. ~*allison*~ macrumors regular

Glad you got it figured out! I thought there was something wrong with my phone for the longest time because all was well with my husband's, and I had them both set up the same way. Either way, good to hear all is well. :D

8. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yes, all is well...

I truly appreciate the help, it's good to know that "I'm not crazy-obsessed" with my iPhone like my wife thinks, she thinks that I imagine the little flaws! :p:cool:

9. ~*allison*~ macrumors regular

Haha...no prob. My husband thinks I'm the same way!:p

10. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

A thousand thanks to ~*allison*~!! I have been unable to use my Bellsouth.net e-mail address to send any time I was not on my home wireless network. I could receive just fine, my gmail account worked great too. I changed the outgoing server name like you said and Boom! out went three test e-mails. Thanks for your help. :):D