Gmail IMAP issue? iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Mike84, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone. I posted this issue in the iOS 5 forum realizing that I should have posted here instead.

I recently got the new iphone 5 and today I noticed something that hasn't happened in a long time. My e-mails are not sending in gmail. I am using apple's mail app for my gmail account and setting it up through gmail and not exchange (I have tried exchange and am running into the same issue).

I can receive e-mails but not send. The interesting thing is that it doesn't even go to the outbox and sit there informing me it didn't go out. It actually just disappears and the receiver never gets it. I was responding all day long to e-mails not knowing they were not even going out.

I have tried going to m.google.com/sync and checked off all the options under the device, which didn't help at all.

It seems to be a google issue but I am not certain. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I have also searched the forum and not found an answer that helps.

2. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Did you try setting it up as "other" instead of choosing Gmail in the mail app.

3. Mike84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did and that didn't work either.

The thing is, now I am seeing that at times it goes through and at times it doesn't. It is as if there is a server issue with gmail? It has become temperamental.

Should I be configuring the smtp in a particular way?

4. nippyjun macrumors 65816

5. Mike84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I have. That actually seems to agitate the system and block it off from sending anything.

6. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Does sending via wifi vs cellular make a difference?

7. Mike84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sometimes, but it has more of a reset effect, temporarily, than anything else.

It is working now(last two e-mails), but I am not sure what causes it to stop working from time to time. No settings have been changed.

my server port is set to 465 using SSL and Hose Name is smtp.gmail.com