gmail + IMAP + Mail = happy or unhappy new Mac user?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nhcowboy1, Apr 27, 2008.

1. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

I am trying to help a friend get set up on a Mac for the first time. Have the computer in place ('though she's not hooked it up yet) . . . now need to get email working.

She's used to webmail, and wants to stay with it for the following reasons:

(1) she receives lots of photos and doesn't want them taking up space on her harddrive; and

(2) if a comet falls on her house (her words, not mine), her email will still all be safe on a remote server.

So, with this in mind, I'm thinking a Gmail IMAP account would suit her needs. The question remains, however, whether she should just use the Gmail user interface or use her own mail server . . . and if she uses her own email client, which one would work best for her?

I'm in unfamiliar territory here, because I'm am old, set-in-my-ways Eudora POP user who's never set up an IMAP account. But, I promised I'd help her . . . so I'm hoping you all can help me!

She'll be using one computer only, so has no immediate need to access mail from multiple computers (well, unless that comet hits). She's on a G4 running Tiger. Which mail client would interface best with Gmail, and which one would be the easiest for her to set up?

It makes some sense for her to use :apple: Mail (so she can also use Address Book, etc.) . . . I've just read that some people have had problems using Mail with Gmail IMAP. Any suggestions?

2. Herodotis macrumors newbie

I use gmail via Apple's mail app. I have had no problems. I followed gmail's IMAP setup directions and it worked great.

I also have 2 other inboxes set up in Mail so all of my accounts can be checked with a click...saves me time.

Cheers

3. llorban macrumors newbie

I agree with herodotis -- I've used Gmail IMAP with Mail for quite a while now and I don't have any major complaints. I still use the Gmail web interface when I'm not near my mac. The integration can be taken a step further if you have an iphone or ipod touch.

4. lisamel macrumors regular

lisamel

Hi!
    I'm currently using Gmail in Mail, but with POP not IMAP. I'm very happy with the POP as what I do on the mac doesnt affect what is on the gmail server. Not too familiar with IMAP, but I think if you delete an email in Mail, it will also be deleted from the server.
    Anyway.. I'm also syncing Mail between and iMac and Macbook (via .mac) which is great!
    Hope this helps a bit ;)

EDIT: I forgot to say that you have to change the setting in Gmail for what to do after you download the message. You need to mark the one archiving the email after download, instead of deleting.

I may be wrong about this IMAP thing tho :)

5. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

Mail.app + GMAIL / IMAP question

If I may engage in slight thread-jacking -- how can I use GMAIL/IMAP without having Mail.app download ALL of my existing messages from the server? I just want to view new messages and reply to them.

The reason for not using POP is that I've been told by the local IT people that IMAP is supposed to be more secure.