Gmail IMAP not consistent across iPhone, Mail & webmail

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by vawolf, Aug 7, 2008.

1. vawolf macrumors member

Hello,

I've set up my Gmail account to use IMAP with Mail.app and the iPhone 3G. When I look at my inbox in Gmail's webmail and in Mail.app, I see all the same messages. But when I check my Gmail inbox on the iPhone, some of the messages I see on the other two are missing. I tried rebooting the phone and it didn't work. I would've guessed that the problem had to do with some messages I copied from another account to Gmail, but on the iPhone most of those messages show up, just not some.

Thanks.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

When you added G-Mail to the phone, did you pick the "G-Mail" option?

Crazy, right? Well, Google themselves suggest using "Other" instead of that option!

Dunno if that's your problem, but I suggest erasing the account from the phone and re-adding it using Google's instructions:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77702

3. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

I was having similar problems with inconsistencies with my Gmail across my iPhone, Mail.app, and webmail.

Digging through some settings, I realized that on my webmail I had both POP and IMAP enabled, which was giving me some weird results. Perhaps something to check out.

I also found this to be a helpful link: http://5thirtyone.com/archives/862

4. vawolf thread starter macrumors member

I checked my Gmail settings on the web interface and POP is disabled. But thanks...and I'll check out the link. It's only a handful of messages so I should probably let it go, but it's the principle of it.

5. Salvacion macrumors member

I had the same problem, but after following that link's instructions I'm all synched up, mail goes to correct folders on Mail and mail.app, and no more duplicates. Thanks a bunch.