Gmail & Imap Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by michaelsviews, Oct 31, 2007.

1. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

I know and have read to enable IMAP. BUT do you disable Pop? Or what do you regarding POP

2. Steck macrumors newbie

First of all, read this informative site Google put together:
    https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77702

I then went into my Gmail account, disabled POP, enabled IMAP.
    Remove the current Gmail account from my iPhone, added a new one using "Other" as an account type.

Should be good to go :D

P.S. I'm assuming you have no other devices (computers, phones, etc) that are using Gmail POP. If so, disabling POP will eliminate those devices ability to get your email.

3. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

You assume correctly and I did what the link said, I just was not sure about the pop setting thanks

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Be patient with Gmail...

since they are doing everything they can to offer IMAP to all Gmail accounts. I know some of my friends are still without IMAP. The last message was that it would take a few days to accomplish the task. :cool:

5. Geffen macrumors 6502

Imap showed up for me this morning on my second gmail account can you have more than 1 gmail account setup on the iphone with imap? i currently have this second account setup as POP.

6. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

You can have quite a few emails setup on the iPhone, not just one.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, I've got five (5)...

different email accounts and the great thing about IMAP is that they allow you to manage your email account on your iPhone and the account is immediately updated when you log in to the same account when you get home on your desktop! No more "losing emails" because you opened the file at work; that one always "chaps my hide" when I think back about all the emails that I can only see on my work computer! Good Luck as your iPhone becomes IMAP compatible for ALL of your email accounts... :cool:

8. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

One other question, I have IMAP, and Gmail all set , now however, I am seeing all the folders under my GMAIL acct. Is there a way to NOT see all of them? Or is that just the way it is and I'm stuck with it ?

Thanks

9. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

You do have to see those. You can, however, map your Sent, Drafts, and Trash on the iPhone to the appropriate directories on Google, which helps some. :)