Gmail in Apple Mail not marked as read

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Hookemfins, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

Running 10.9.1 Mail Version 7.1 (1827)

Whenever I read Gmail from another App (iPad, iPhone, other Mac or Gmail website), it doesn't get marked as read in Apple Mail (Mac Mini or MBPr). Even hitting get mail doesn't work. However when I delete from any device it deletes from Apple Mail instantly.

2. snarfquest macrumors regular

There are already other threads on this topic.

However to try and provide some insight. For me the fix was removing Little Snitch.

If you don't use Little Snitch it is a network traffic sniffer/watcher that tells you about things trying to connect to you. Once I removed it my OS X mail.app and Gmail started working as expected. So if you have any app that is watching network traffic or perhaps a Virus scanner, try and fiddle with those and see if anything gets resolved.

3. Hookemfins thread starter macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

Thanks for tip. I don't have Little Snitch or anything close to it (that I know of). It is a mail.app problem as I fired up Outlook and read mail from Apple Mail. Outlook marked read almost instantly.

I was working with an Apple Care tech who had me send monitoring files of Mail.app and the Apple technicians said it was on the Gmail server side. I think Outlook proved that idea wrong.