Gmail in IOS4 - Archive not delete?!?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kavier, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

Anyone with Gmail of iPhone - Since I have updated to IOS4, when I swipe to delete an email on my phone, I get a red button which says "archive" instead of "delete." After pressing the button, the email disappears from my inbox, doesn't show up in the trash and doesn't go to any of my other folders. Anyone else experiencing this?

2. techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

Me too. Need to Delete emails not Archive. How to Fix this?

3. celticpride678

Settings>Mail, Contacts and Calendars>Gmail account>Turn off "Archive Messages."

4. JeffMonty macrumors member

Should be an option under your Gmail account's advanced settings somewhere. You can change it between archive or delete

5. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

It gets put in your "All Mail" folder. You can turn off the feature in the gmail account settings.

6. MattsxB macrumors member

The archived emails go to the All Mail folder incase you don't know where they end up.

Remember that there is about 7GB of gmail storage per account so space shouldn't be an issue for many

7. Kavier thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kavier

Thanks guys!!! I changed the settings and all is good :cool:

8. techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

Thank You, fixed.

9. JHV macrumors newbie

iphone and gmail - Delete not archive

Hello, was just going to post that I changed archive to off and still got archive instead of delete. I turned my phone off and back on and all is well!!

10. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

what about if i use gmail set up through exchange to get push? i'm unable to change that.

11. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

This is my biggest annoyance but you can not change it since GMAIL maps the DELETE call via ActiveSync to ARCHIVE.

12. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

hmm the push from exchange is really push though, with no polling by my iphone. can i set up gmail without using exchange but still have real push? then i'd be able to delete too.

13. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

No, when you select "GMAIL" from the mail setup it utilizes IMAP. However when you setup GMAIL as an Exchange (ActiveSync) account it is subject to the Google settings. I believe there are apps that will Push notify when a new mail arrives for Gmail in which case you can using the GMAIL setup to download the latest mail.

14. vchalupa macrumors member

I just dealt with this issue a few weeks ago on my mac and realized Gmail didn't delete any of my emails in over two years.

Just thought I should point this out, Gmail stupidly has a separate labs feature in Google Labs for those of you using IMAP. It allows you to control how your mail is handled (whether deleted of archived). You can turn it on and get it to sync properly if you're using an IMAP client on either your iPhone or your computers.

15. CrazyMutha29 macrumors member

It requires two taps (incidentally the same number of taps to 'delete' a message), but you can manually move a message to trash when using Gmail through Exchange just as you would move it to any of your other folders in your account.

16. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

i just tried that on my iphone. i looked on my gmail online, and it was actually in "all mail", as if it were archived. so that does not work either. you best check your "all mail" -- all your messages you thought you deleted are most likely still there.

17. CrazyMutha29 macrumors member

Hmmm... Imagine that.

I foolishly assumed that manually moving an item to the trash folder would put in it in the trash folder. You're absolutely right. That doesn't work either!!!

Back to the drawing board..............

18. Jestered macrumors 6502

How do people not know this? That was Google's big "pitch" when they rolled out Gmail... "Never delete a single email again, Google said when they launched gmail service, the best free email service in the world.". When you "delete" an email in Gmail, it doesn't delete anything, it archives it. Apple did the right thing by using "archive" for Gmail instead of "delete". Anyway, who cares?

19. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Yeah I'm surprised most people don't know this. I also feel like I'm one of the few who doesn't delete the mails and archives them.

20. outphase macrumors 65816

I used to, but I no longer have a need to keep advertisements for much longer than a few days.