Gmail in Mail App

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JForestZ34, Apr 15, 2009.

1. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

I did a quick search and could find nothing.. Is there anybody that has experience with gmail but accessing it through your mail app. I've read everywhere on google that imap has to be enabled and you have to set up the account correctly on my MBP. I've done all that and half the time I try to delete some e-mails they will look like they get deleted but in about 2-3 mins they come back up on my computer as it downloaded it again.. It never deleted it from gmail... I would rather use imap because it's easier to use with my iphone... Plus I want to have access like I have on my phone but on my computer.. What settings do I need and how did you guys get it to work?

James

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You want to uncheck the "store deleted messages on server" option.

3. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

4. JForestZ34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is that the only box I have to uncheck? It won't let me delete any mail out of my all mail folder... I think I am missing something.. I did uncheck store deleted messages on server box...

James

5. danny_w macrumors 601

I have tried using gmail with mail.app with almost every different setting imaginable, and still don't like what I see, and I think it all goes back to gmail's labels and the differences between 'delete', 'archive', and 'all mail'. I currently have gmail set to forward all messages to MobileMe, but it still leaves a copy in the inbox and in 'all mail' (why can't it just delete all forwarded messages?). If I had to deal with gmail on a daily basis I would definitely use their web gui, since it gives me both 'delete' and 'archive' functions; unfortunately it still does not support drag-n-drop, I suppose because of their label mentality.