Gmail iOS integration... Which solution is best?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by whyrichard, Oct 25, 2012.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hey,

I use gmail on fetch, instead I push, on my iPhone. I use a third party gmail app called push gmail to get instant notifications. In the past, this save me battery life.
    However my mail app takes forever to download the header to new email, and then takes forever to download the actual email. Sometimes I get impatient and use the mediocre gmail app which is relatively painless.

Question is... What is the best (ie fastest, battery conserving, reliable) method of using gmail on the iPhone these days?

Thanks,

R

2. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

3. sch11 macrumors member

Can you have multiple Exchange accounts without issues? I remember reading that iOS limits you to just one at a time.

4. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

You can have multiple. I have gmail set up as Exchange, and then I have my work email also.

5. sch11 macrumors member

Thanks, Exchange is way better than setting up the account as a "Gmail" account that has to fetch. I just hope having two exchange accounts doesn't keep my work email from being delivered on time - I've already had push notifications randomly stop once.

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have three exchange accounts - two Gmail and one corporate. No trouble with any of them. Near-instant push, though occasionally my iPad and iPhone will be off by up to 5-10 seconds (though usually together within 1 second of each other).

7. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

I use exchange also
    But what I hate, is I can't delete emails, I can only "archive" them.
    Wish there was a way to delete

8. HenryAZ macrumors 6502a

HenryAZ

I use the Exchange type for setting up Google to fetch Contacts and Calendar, but disable the GMail in that account. And then I set up GMail (and my other mail accounts), as type "Other".

9. ZelMousse macrumors newbie

You can make it so that gmail will delete emails instead of archive them. goto m.google.com/sync on you iOS device, log-in, then select the device that has accessed your gmail, and put a check in the box next to 'Enable "Delete Email as Trash" for his device.'. Then save.

it should now move emails to the trash folder instead of archiving it.

10. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Google Sync page changed

Hey ZelMousse (or anyone) ... I used to do this as well, but now when I go to m.google.com/sync, I no longer see the same settings screen like at the following website (https://sites.google.com/a/umich.edu/going-google/mobile-devices/ios-swipe-to-delete-settings).

Anyone know where these settings went?

11. Beeplance macrumors 68000

Beeplance

Yeah exchange should be good, just learnt it the other day, courtesy of Small White Car posting a link for the instructions to enable it. Works very well! :)

12. Daniel97 macrumors 6502a

i have my calender set up as CALDAV and contacts as DAV too ..

Only way it allowed me to use multiple calenders ..

13. bripab007 macrumors 6502a

14. twigman08 macrumors 6502

I just use Exchange. I have multiple Exchange accounts setup and everything works perfectly. Battery life seems to be fine.

15. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

16. jenzjen macrumors 68000

THIS is it, thank you very much!