Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bikr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
Video below, but basically I'm getting blank emails with no content.. They can't be deleted or viewed.. I'm also having issues with new messages sometimes simply not displaying even though message count shows unread messages.. Anyone else? Any fixes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSSqPJkkoPA

Rizzler78

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2010
I have the same problem with Hotmail since upgrade, i am also unable to compose an email.

crowdedstr

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Chicago, IL
I think there is a bug in the email... I have some weird things happening with the iphone 4 and email as well... the two-line preview works intermittently, and also after reading new mail, often times the messages are still displayed as "new" even though on the email website, it says they've been ready. So I think they have a bit of work to do here for the first patch.

Additionally, another bug (or omission... or I'm doing something wrong) is that when viewing the "Artists" in iPod mode, there are no divisions for the different letters that the bands start with. Not a deal breaker by any means, but just kind of annoying and tougher to read than the previous versions. This issue doesn't appear to exist with the "Songs" or "Albums" searches.

ehmom

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Blank Emails ios4

Same here. Really, Apple!!! Anyway, i just had my inbox with regular emails along with 51 blank emails, some with a blue dot and nothing else and some saying "No message attached". So i deleted the ones with actual messages then went to the trash to see if there were blank emails in there. none there. then i went back to my inbox which still showed 51 emails....and there were the old emails i just deleted! Deleted them AGAIN and now there is nothing in the inbox. I don't know if the phone is pulling the email from the server twice???

Oh, and thanks, Apple, for deleting all my saved emails when i updated the software!

eddy64

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
same exact problem here, really hope apple fixes this soon. It's annoying to have an inbox filled with blank emails

litedesign

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
Apparently turning off "Organize by Thead" in Email System Preferences resolves this problem. Must be a bug in the new "Even Better Mail" features they have added in iOS4.

ddarko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2007
Apparently turning off "Organize by Thead" in Email System Preferences resolves this problem. Must be a bug in the new "Even Better Mail" features they have added in iOS4.

Not for me it doesn't. And neither does deleting and re-entering the email accounts. It's not just affecting Gmail, it's also with my Yahoo and Hotmail accounts. This just started for me. Mail was working fine until this afternoon.

Doc2339

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
I think there is a multi tasking bug with the mail app. Double click on the home button to bring up multi tasking. Hold down on the app until the red minus comes and close mail out of multi tasking. Once I did that mail started to work fine again.

bfar5

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2010
NYC
This is just great. I have about 100 of these messages on my AOL email account but only one my IP4. They are dated 12/31/69. Can't delete 'em... can't open 'em. Nice touch.

pdegregorio

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
I think there is a multi tasking bug with the mail app. Double click on the home button to bring up multi tasking. Hold down on the app until the red minus comes and close mail out of multi tasking. Once I did that mail started to work fine again.

Thanks for this solution!

Preds

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I think you're right. I've had the same issue with emails being blank from multiple accounts.

I could see the first few lines of preview text, but upon clicking on the email got blank pages.

Shutting down the mail app from the multi-task bar and reloading it does indeed to solve the issue.

BTW, this isn't just a 3GS issue, as it's happened on my iPhone 4 since day 1.

I'm surprised this bug wasn't fixed with the iOS4.01 patch as I've noticed it many times and until your post, only could fix it with a hard reboot.

Thanks for the tip.

superkershaw

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2009
Restarting Mail worked for me

I had similar issues: blank messages, stuck blue dot and message previews not loading.

I found that after quitting and restarting mail fixed all of my problems as well, at least for now.

3GS, iOS 4.0.1, gmail - gafyd, mail with threading ON.

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
On 4.0.1 with an iPhone 4 and neither solution above (turning off organize by thread/kill Mail process & restart) works for me. I've also tried deleting the accounts and readding them via the phone and deleting and re-syncing with iTunes. I'm at my wits end right now -- please help guys.

Attachments

• mail-wtf 001.jpg
    mail-wtf 001.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 146

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
I'm not sure how long this is going to stay working but here's how I fixed it:
- Removed iLock 1.3
- Removed all mail accounts on the phone
- Rebuilt the Mail.app database on Mac
- Restart Mail
- Turned off phone for 15 minutes+
- Turned phone back on
- Synced via iTunes and replaced Mail, Calendar information from Phone with that on the Mac

I have no idea which steps are relevant, but that worked for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.