Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abs9986

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
I recently bought the iPhone 4s and I also have a macbook pro. My question involves gmail and how it behaves between the two devices. I have gmail set up as an exchange account on my iPhone so the email is pushed to it. Once I'm done reading the message I can easy just delete it. I also have gmail coming into the mail app on my macbook pro. I want to find a way so that when I delete the email on my iPhone it is also deleted on my mac or vice versa. Is this what iCloud is supposed to do?

Thanks for the help,

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You need to set up Gmail on your Macbook as an Exchange account too.

It's probably set up as a POP account or something, which brings mail in but otherwise syncs no other changes. Add GMail as Exchange and you'll have 2 mailboxes in Apple Mail. Then, once you're sure the new one is working, erase the old one.

Do it in the Mac's main system preferences (not the Mail's preferences) and you can also add Google's address book and calendar to your Mac while you're at it.

(I'm assuming you have Snow Leopard or Lion...if not do it all in Mail preferences and not the Mac's.)

abs9986

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
ok, I tried doing this but I kept getting an error when I typed in m.google.com under the server name.

Finally it seemed to work and I do in fact see the other account in the mail app, but it says that it is unable to go online.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Hmmm. Well, if Exchange doesn't work then search online for how to set up GMail as an IMAP account on Apple Mail.

That will do the trick too. Same thing...add it and then erase the old one.

abs9986

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Is that not how gmail is already set up as IMAP? The way I currently have it set is I just added an account in mail and selected the gmail option. I know that on the iPhone you are supposed to pick exchange for true "push." With current settings my iPhone always gets the email a lot faster than my computer does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.