Gmail - Iphone mail

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sunny1985, Jul 18, 2010.

1. sunny1985 macrumors member

I've got gmail set up on my phone but i do not receive a pop up only a ping to say ive got an email. How do i enable it to show a pop up just like those when you receive from a txt/IM?

Thanks

Sunny

2. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

The mail icon will show a red badge and the count of unread emails. It will not show a pop up... And if you think about it, txt are short, emails are long and would not really fit on the screen well.

3. sunny1985 thread starter macrumors member

A bit ridiculous is doesn’t even show who the email is from, rather then showing a long txt of the email. Is this one of apple restrictions?

Yep i get the red badge, but if my phone is on silient i simply wont hear it, or see it on my lock screen.

4. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

Yeah, that's one of the "restrictions." if you have vibrate turned on, the phone will vibrate when an e-mail arrives. It's not a perfect solution, but at least you'll know.

5. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

I agree, Apple would be smart to add a little more information to the lock screen. I have not found it to be that great of a problem but it certainly wouldn't hurt if Apple improved the lock screen.

6. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

i have been begging for Apple to put some more info on the Lockscreen since iPhone OS 2. People were expecting it in OS 4 ,but it just isn't there. I hope they will add something like this soooooon!

7. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

One of a thousand reasons why the iPhone is useless without a jailbreak.

If it wasn't for the jailbreak software, I would not have bought the iPhone.

With the jailbreak, there isn't a single phone on the market that can beat it in functionality. Without the jailbreak, it's just a pretty, but severely limited phone.