Gmail + Mail 5.0 (Lion) is driving me crazy. Help needed!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by J.C, Jul 31, 2011.

1. J.C, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

J.C macrumors 6502

I’m having a lot of trouble configuring Mail 5.0 (in OS X Lion) to run my Gmail account the way I want.

Every guide or suggestions I find seems to contradict the others in at least one way; and none provide much explanation as to why a particular setting should be used. Different uses prefer different behavior so it’s important to know why.

Here are the requirements I hope can be met with Mail.

- Don’t keep copies of messages for offline viewing. I want messages pulled from the server as I need them. I assume I’ve got that one sorted with Accounts > Advanced > Don’t keep copies of any messages.

- I would like the Delete button and key to move messages to the Bin and only the bin i.e. not All Mail.

- I would like the Archive button, and dragging to the All Mail label, to remove the message from the Inbox i.e. I don’t want any messages to retain the Inbox and All Mail label. One or the other.

- Map everything I can in Mail to it’s Gmail equivalent i.e. Flagged to Starred, Drafts to Drafts, Sent to Sent, Trash to Bin, Spam to Junk.

Currently I can't find a way to do all these things. This is driving me mad so any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. scottporter macrumors newbie

i agree

I see no replies.

I'm looking for a way to auto empty the spam gmail folder when I empty junk

why 2? I must be missing something!!!

AND why do I have to hit get all mail to have Mail get my old Hotmail stuff when it automagically gets my gmail????

AND why do I have to give a pasword to my keychain every time i restart or boot?

ome of this hass been a problem sice leopard, some snow, and some Lion....someone must have a clue?

scott

3. scottporter macrumors newbie

fixed some

I fixed some of my issues by changing settings in preferences>accounts
    mailbox behaviors.. don't know if I'd missed them, they were new or both

I checked use this when checking for mail... DUH
    and delete junk after 1 week giving me time to scan it on one
    and delete spam after 1 week on the other

hope that helps those issues

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Try Sparrow (from the Mac App Store). Works great with Gmail and supports Gmail labels way better than the native email app. If you're a heavy Gmail user, it might be worth a try.

It's a paid app ($9) but there's a free/lite version to try.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Select a Mailbox (ie. Drafts) then in the menubar click Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For

6. d0ster macrumors regular

THIS! I was in the same predicament as you and just went ahead and bought Sparrow. I love it.

7. J.C thread starter macrumors 6502

I have it and hate it.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Same here. I'm not a fan.

9. d0ster macrumors regular

Not trying to thread jack but why do you dislike Sparrow? Besides the price I suppose. Just curious.

10. J.C thread starter macrumors 6502

Personally I don't like the look and it's far too simple. No options. Tonnes of missing features. Tonnes of small issues. The price doesn't worry me.