Gmail + Mail.app = BUG vs. BUG as your options!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jimthing, Apr 7, 2011.

1. jimthing, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

jimthing macrumors 6502a

jimthing

There is a big problem AFAICS, with Gmail IMAP accounts in the Mail.app!

AUTOSAVE vs UNIFIED MAILBOXES

It causes an issue to do with composing emails if you use Apple's set-up, but if you try to use Google's set-up there is also a problem too, with each bug appearing if you set one way but disappearing set the other.
    And is a major issue if you have more than one email address (eg. perhaps MobileMe and Gmail and work ones - as most people I'm sure have), as you want to unify the main mailboxes, but issues are caused...

Apple recommended set-up: under "Mailbox Behaviors" tick *all* (Notes is optional) of the boxes and set to Never.
    Causes bug: when composing emails, ie. Drafts, the Gmail autosave function saves repeats in your Trash mailbox every 30-60 seconds while you are composing the email. These have to be manually deleted.

eg: I composed an email for 30 mins today, and I had 28(!) autosave parts repeated emails in my Gmail Trash folder!

Google recommended set-up: under "Mailbox Behaviors" tick *none* (Notes is optional) of the boxes, *except* Junk and set Junk to Never.
    Causes bug: trying to unify Inbox/Drafts/Sent/Junk/Trash (by, for example, highlighting the Gmail 'Drafts' mailbox, going to dropmenu Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For > Drafts, and doing this for the Sent/Junk/Trash too), then the Mailbox Behaviors re-save automatically in the background, or even by prompting you to save them, back to having them ALL ticked (as per Apple's way above)!

So you either set as per Apple recommended options and get the repeat email Trash, or set as per Google recommended options and then don't get main mailboxes to unify?!?!

I have played with this endlessly over the last 12 months, gone into an Apple Genius apointment, phoned AppleCare, spoken to my ISP Virgin Media UK (as I also have one of their addresses, and they use Google Apps email), and spoken to Virgin Media UK's Complaints after they picked up a letter I sent to their CEO complaining about the issue.
    And I'm still here none the wiser with the same problem, having to use the Apple method above, and just deleting the hundreds of repeats of Draft emails (whether the Draft gets sent or not, you ALWAYS get these repeats) from my Trash?!

(sounds like the ACTUAL reason Virgin Media do not offer support for Apple's MAIN email program! While mysteriously they do offer Thunderbird for Mac support?? There is no other reason not to support the native mail program otherwise!)

Q: What settings are you other Gmail users using in Mailbox Behaviors to NOT get these repeats in your Trash, whilst still being able to UNIFY your mailboxes??

I'm completely flummoxed. Please help I'm desperate to know a solution. :mad:

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Are you saying that setting apple mail trash to be emptied on exit, or after a day or a week doesn't work?

Preferences > Accounts > Mailbox Behaviours

3. jimthing, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011

jimthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

jimthing

No. That's not the issue, regardless of setting Never/Day/Week/Month/Quit, why are these autosaved versions being saved in my Trash **AT ALL**.

(All the below happens in Mail.app)

I get Gmail's autosave versions in the Trash, rather than them saving as a single message in the Drafts as I type it out.

eg. over three minutes I write "The cat sat on the mat." in a Gmail Draft message being written.

Gmail Trash will have 2 half-typed autosaved messages sitting in it:
    1st message: "The cat "
    2nd message: "The cat sat on "

and Gmail Drafts will have the actual draft message:
    "The cat sat on the mat."

Whether I actually send the draft immediately or save it doesn't make any difference.

4. jimthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

jimthing

Can someone just answer this question for me (preferably as fully as possible please):

Q: What settings are you other Gmail users using in Mailbox Behaviors to NOT get these repeats in your Trash, whilst still being able to UNIFY your main mailboxes (inbox/drafts/sent/junk/trash) with other email accounts in Mail.app??

5. funwithamar macrumors regular

im using it with push mail .
    go to settings> mail >mail>add account> exchange>
    enter username and password
    server : m.google.com

and save and just like that u have push gmail :D

edit : ooops sorry this was for the iphone :p

6. alaskagrown macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem, except my drafts are SENDING-- so the recipients are getting several partial messages. It's awful.