Gmail/Mail App Causing Battery Usage in Standby?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gnortenjones, Oct 18, 2012.

1. gnortenjones macrumors regular

A couple weeks ago I noticed that my under my usage meter, my "usage", and "standby" times were the same, even if I left the ipad in standby mode all night. I've seen this issue before in previous IOS devices, and knew this was likely due to an app not closing properly.

I did all the troubleshooting such as doing hard resets, deleting/reinstalling recent apps, a restore from backup, and finally resorted to doing a clean restore. This seemed to have fixed the issue, but as I began re-installing apps, and getting things back to normal, the issue re-appeared.

Today I spent a few hours after doing another clean restore, and checking battery usage stats every time I made a setting change, app install, etc.

I think I finally narrowed down the culprit, the Mail app, specifically my Gmail account. The second I setup my gmail account, the issue re-appeared. I deleted the gmail account from the ipad, it went away.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

I've done the normal searches of the forum, but haven't found anything specific to Gmail.

Thanks.

2. MsvSpaz macrumors newbie

I think I might have the same issue on my iPhone 5. I have done the same troubleshooting steps and still seem to have the issue. Was thinking of removing the Gmail account tonight before charging to check. Do you have your Gmail account set up as Exchange or Gmail?