Gmail & Mail app Confusion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ohla313, Feb 17, 2011.

1. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I am having trouble setting up Mail on my mac and not running into conflicts. Whenever I send or delete a message it appears as a label in gmail entitled "Deleted Messages" and "Sent Messages" How do I prevent this from happening and getting rid of these labels?

Thanks

2. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

another issue is that mail keeps asking for the password to my mail account and I know its the right one but it keeps asking! None of my other gmail accounts do this.

3. MacForMeOneDay macrumors member

The password may be coming from the SMTP server you have selected for this account. You'll have to go to preferences -> Accounts. Select the account and pull down the SMTP selection box and use the "Edit SMTP Server List".

As for your other issue.
    Are you using the "Inbox" or just using the Gmail folder. I'm assuming you are using IMAP. If so, gmail does label everything instead of moving things, so sometimes (especially if you have a mail labeled more than once) can get confusing.
    If you do not want to see the [GMAIL] -> Sent Mail, there is a "lab" feature you can enable using the web interface of gmail that allows you select which IMAP folders are/aren't visible. Its called "Advanced IMAP Controls" More info here: http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/new-in-labs-advanced-imap-controls.html

4. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

thank you for your response. I tried to delete the email address and redo setting it up and now it says the password isn't right...I checked the smtp server list and what do I do there?

5. MacForMeOneDay macrumors member

Open the Advanced Tab, and just delete the password. Then it will ask you next time and you can store it.

6. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

now when I try to redo my email setup I get this message. "Logging in to the Gmail IMAP server “imap.gmail.com” failed. Make sure the user name and password you entered are correct, then click Continue. If the information isn’t correct, you cannot receive messages."

How do I fix this?

7. MacForMeOneDay macrumors member

Have you read over this page?
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=78799

8. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

yes but unfortunately no solution. Hm I wonder what it could be...I have 3 other IMAP Gmail accounts on so I thought it was too many so I deleted one and put the new one on but still same errors!

9. MacForMeOneDay macrumors member

hmmmm. I'd start from scratch. Delete the smtp server entry for that account, delete that account. Then open "Keychain Access" (Just search in spotlight) and search for imap.google.com and you'll probably see an entry for each gmail account. Delete the account that you are having trouble with.

Start from scratch following the setup per the previous link.

10. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I deleted the login from the keychain, deleted the smtp from the server list and tried redoing the account from scratch and still same logging in error :confused:

What's going on?

11. MacForMeOneDay macrumors member

I'm stumped. I'd verify that you can get into the account through the web interface and look at the bottom, there is a "Details" that you can see how the account has been accessed. Also, ensure in the settings on the web interface that IMAP is enabled.

12. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

Yes I can login the web interface and use it just fine. Actually Mail is the only thing causing problems. I clicked Details on the bottom and signed out all sessions to be safe. and I checked my "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" settings and POP and IMAP is enabled. Just like my other accounts.

13. MacForMeOneDay macrumors member

Last thought... Have you closed down the mail app? I've had mail act odd but notice it when my phone and mail are getting out of sync.

Other than that I'm out of ideas...

14. ohla313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ohla313

well when I turned off my computer for the night and turned it back on I was able to get all my mail imported but then it kept asking for my password after that. Should I just schedule an appt at the Genius Bar?

Thank you very much for your help so far