gmail mostly working ok - explanation of 2 modes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ericld, Jul 4, 2007.

1. ericld macrumors member

When setting up gmail on my iphone I went through the basic steps and then turned OFF "recent mode". This prevented a constant influx of mail onto the iphone. The problem becomes a racing issue. If your desktop pop client (mail.app) gets the mail first, you won't ever get it on your iphone because its already been marked as delivered (the iphone won't see it because its no longer there for download)

That last issue can be fixed with "recent mode" ON and inbox set to 25 messages, you will always have 25 items in your inbox. When you delete one, and older one comes in from the bottom of your list, which will inevitably be one you've already seen from months past - drag, so don't delete them, and keep 25 "previously read" messages in your inbox at all times. This nullifies the trash can on your iphone because you really never want to delete something and have an old one come in - marked as unread. In this mode your iphone will always get new mail even if another pop client (desktop mail.app) has read it. It sucks down the new mail and old mail gets moved out 1 for 1, thereby keeping 25 items in your box at all times.

I'm not sure which mode I dislike less ;)

eric

2. ericld thread starter macrumors member

one more thing, getting your own messages back

A lot of folks mention that they see their own mail come back onto the iphone, meaning that they get their own email copied to them and delivered to their iphone inbox. This is a function of how gmail works and you can fix it by creating a filter at gmail.com that deletes all mail from "your.gmail.name@gmail.com".

The only bummer is that your desktop-sent or webmail-sent mail now lives in your webmail trash because it came from you (and was filtered and deleted).

eric