Gmail - New Feature, Themes!

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Cleverboy, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Boy, this is just beautiful. Google... I'm never looking back.

If I didn't need them to login to some services, I'd just let my Yahoo and MSN accounts rot. Everytime I turn around, it just keeps improving... unlike so many other of these companies which seem to forget about their different services after launching them.

~ CB

Attached Files:

2. 2056 macrumors 6502

i mostly use the mail app with my gmail acct
    but this is a very nice feature to have.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No themes in my settings. Nice but I rarely use the web interface.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Agreed I rarely use the web app, just mail. But it's nice to have choices. ;)

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'm confused. Is there actually a new theming feature or are you just showing off a firefox extension since you failed to display the entire web browser window?

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

7. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I find myself as a multivore with these technologies. I'm using the built-in iPhone app to read my Gmail less and less, and the mobile web app (for Gmail) more and more. The desktop web app is so easy to get to from my Google personal page (ig), its easy enough just to click over to check every now and again. Moreover, Google has integrated it with its Jabber-compatible system, so that while I'm in Gmail, I can actually get a Google chat message sent to me and it appears instantly, whether I have a chat client open or not. These themes are great, because with the wonderful character themes added to the personal page (and the recent layout update for the tabs), it all just feels much more specific to my own tastes... instead of some vanilla look-and-feel.

They need to add themes to the mobile web apps too, that are in sync with the desktop themes. That would be even better.
    Um... yeah... its a "firefox" extension. That... makes total sense.

Sounds like they're just started rolling it out. Like they did with IMAP support.

~ CB

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Sorry, but I have a couple of firefox extensions that theme gmail, so it does make sense.

[​IMG]

9. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I won't argue that it makes sense to YOU. :) But, see... I posted two screenshots. The second one clearly shows the new "themes" area inside the Gmail interface.

Showing the web browser, on the other hand wouldn't actually help disprove much at all (at least not to me). I'm sorry, I'm just not into conspiracy theories where someone claims Google added a new feature, just so they can mess with people's heads. I'll leave that to this guy. :D

~ CB

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

sorry, I didn't actually look at the second picture.

11. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

The thing I like also, is that it asks me for my zipcode when I activated it (the standard ALERT! at the top of the Gmail page noting a new feature), and said it would change the theme's appearance based on location (and like the Google personal section, the time of the day). It's a pretty unique thing. I remember I'd worked with a company that was developing a themed browser, back in the days of NeoPlanet. We'd made the browser interface based on HTML, and I'd begun working on a few versions for some of our affinity partners that would change the look of your browser throughout the day. Google's doing the next best thing by theming their interfaces. --By not making it user-editable, they keep it away from becoming "MySpace". ;) Although... some of these... are pretty whack. Like the one called "Terminal". Fun for the geeks I guess.

~ CB

12. mantic macrumors 6502a

13. Cleverboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Should be there soon I guess.

Spice up your inbox with colors and themes
    http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/spice-up-your-inbox-with-colors-and.html
    ~ CB

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Hmm I rarely use the web interface, rather preferring the Mail app. But it looks ... stunning. My jaw just broke through the house's foundations... :D

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Still waiting for it to activate on my account, looks very nice though.

Another improvement.

Hotmail/everyone could learn a thing or two...

16. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It now has a much nicer standard theme. I have gone for Tree for now. Will have to look through them all and give them time to work out which one I like best.

I'm still waiting for the whole googlemail vs IIR thing to be sorted. I am tired of people sending me emails to both @googlemail.com and @gmail.com. They fail to realise they are the same bloody thing however because you can only send as @googlemail they get confused again.

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You should have registered via a US proxy ;)

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Yeah I know that now :eek: but unfortuately I assumed this was a user adjustable setting and didn't know about this silly issue at the time.

19. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

hmmmm. There has to be a solution...just can't think what :confused:

edit: those bitches. the only way I could think they've blocked.

20. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

it really is silly, I wish they'd cut that out. I have a few gmail addresses and it annoys me that I have to plug in a US proxy when I register to get @gmail.

aaaanyway, I like the new themes. I started with "tree" as well but the ninja was cute and I put it on. It brought me good luck with something too. :)

21. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Or registered when it first came online.

Early UK subscribers to Gmail got to keep their @gmail.com :)

22. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yup, I was one of them.

23. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Finally! I've been waiting for this feature for quite a while!
    A lot of people don't have their accounts to support themes yet, including me, but Google will get there.
    I love Gmail!

24. blairbeckwith macrumors regular

This alone made me switch back to Google Apps from MobileMe.

I'm using "Shiny".

25. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I found this today too...
    It's pretty slick...although I would have to say that I'm indifferent, it's not like I stare at my email all day. :D