Gmail no longer pushes new messages to Apple Mail in Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by damian, Oct 26, 2013.

1. damian macrumors member

I Googled [gmail push Mavericks OR 10.9 "use idle command"], and restricted results to the last year; absolutely nothing came up, so I decided to post this:

Gmail seems to no longer push email to Apple Mail in Mavericks—at least for me.

In OS 10.8 and before, enabling "Use IDLE command if the server supports it" caused Gmail to instantly push new emails to Apple Mail. No longer.

With the new "Check for new messages Automatically" option, new messages aren't coming in at all, or with severe delays (I don't recall which). When I change it to "Check for new messages Every minute," it checks every minute, which is okay, but not what I had in previous OSs: instant pushing of new messages.

Has anyone managed to solve this problem?

Or does anyone at least know what's causing the problem, and whether it's potentially fixable?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. damian thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, Satcomer, for your feedback.

Unfortunately, it leaves me with more questions than answers:

1. What leads you to believe that Google made a change to their IMAP in the last week? Could it be that the change is with Mavericks, not Google?

2. When you say, "Go back into you web GMail settings and make sure you have things setup," what do you mean?

3. I read the Tidbits blog article that you referenced before posting here. From what I can see, it says nothing about push, and has nothing to do with push. Am I missing something?

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

1. No. Google made a sight change.

2. Check out Gmail settings. In the Google Mail page click on the top right gear icon and select settings. In the Settings windows click on the forwarding and pop/imap tab and make sure you are using IMAP.

3. No. In going into it click on small 'Configuration instructions' to tweak your GMail setup.

5. damian thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply.

What slight change did Google make? Can you provide a link to your source of this information?

As for Gmail settings, IMAP has been enabled on my account for years, so I'm not clear what else, if anything, there is to tweak.

6. DaPhatty macrumors member

I, too, would like to know what changes Satcomer is referring to.

As for Push not working, have you considered deleting and re-creating your Gmail settings in your Mail app? After my Mavericks upgrade was complete, the Mail app simply stopped working with my Gmail account (message delivery stopped working, message labels were incorrectly displayed...) Deleting and recreating my account settings fixed the problem (although it took a while for the data to download).

7. damian thread starter macrumors member

DaPhatty, thanks for the tip. Is Gmail now pushing new messages to your mail.app instantly?

I'm hesitant to try what you suggest, because I imagine it could take days for mail.app to re-download all 11GB of emails I have archived in Gmail, but I'll do it if it seems to be the only way.

8. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What change? Take a look at all the changes Google made recently. They made these changes and it affected GMail IMAP server settings. Plus think of it this way, Google doesn't like the Mac or Mac Users at all. Mark my words when I say Google IMAP will become paid only in a few years.

9. damian thread starter macrumors member

I'm confused. I searched the article to which you linked for "IMAP," and nothing came up. While I suppose it's conceivable that IMAP could become a paid service, I can't really imagine a connection between Google selling users' endorsements having anything to do with IMAP failing to push Gmail to mail.app in Mavericks.

Regardless, I'm not here to bash Google. I'm just looking to get my Gmail pushed to mail.app, like it did before I upgraded to Mavericks. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

10. rochakagrawal macrumors newbie

Was it fixed?

@damian, did you manage to get it fixed? I still have the same problem

thx

11. satcomer, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013

satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

No the article says Gmail will sell your Gmail's contents to advertisers! So Google is not just using your Gmail contents but now is selling the info to other advertisers.

12. damian thread starter macrumors member

I clean-installed Mavericks on a new computer, then set up my Gmail IMAP account from scratch on said computer (i.e., no migration), and I still have the problem, to some extent. Sometimes, new messages/changes seem to be pushed instantly; sometimes, they take many minutes to arrive.

I've actually become so used to this problem, by now, that I've largely stopped thinking about it. Fortunately, new messages are pushed instantly to my iPhone, so I always know when I have a new message. Then, if I mess around enough with the inbox on my Mac—flagging and unflagging messages, synchronizing mailboxes, rebuilding, quitting and reopening Mail, etc.—eventually, the new messages come through. I've lost the patience to carefully experiment, to discover exactly what makes the account synchronize. At this point, I just randomly fiddle, until something works.

By the way, I updated with "Mail Update for Mavericks Version 1.0." That was supposed to solve the problem. For me, it did not :/

According to http://www.macrumors.com/2013/12/03/apple-seeds-os-x-10-9-1-build-13b40-to-developers/ , "Last week’s [10.9.1] build included several fixes for Gmail in OS X Mail..."

Fingers crossed that they release it soon, and that it solves our problems.

13. saberahul macrumors 68040

On a completely different topic, I'm sick of Mac Mail and recently tried other programs and ran into AirMail. Seems to be working well… maybe give that or Outlook or anything like Thunderbird a shot. Mac Mail is useless now, IMO.

14. kalex macrumors 65816

What does this have to do with changes to IMAP? /facepalm

15. damian thread starter macrumors member

This.

16. damian, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013

damian thread starter macrumors member

Ok. The resurrection of this thread inspired me to do some troubleshooting today.

I read and archived a bunch of emails on my iPhone, then went back to my MacBook, and discovered that, hours later, the Gmail messages I had read and archived still appeared as unread in the Mail app on my MacBook. Strangely, though, I still received some new messages on my MacBook, even while the old messages remained unsynchronized.

So I tried a bunch of things, none of which worked:
    • quit and re-opened Mail
    • synchronize the account (by right-clicking, then choosing “synchronize…"
    • rebuilt the inbox (by choosing the mailbox menu, then rebuild)
    • flagged and unflagged a random message in the inbox
    • archived a random message in the inbox
    • sent a message to self
    • waited
    • received a new message from someone else
    • took the account offline (by right-clicking on the inbox, then clicking "Take...offline"), then took the account online

Anyone discover a solution to this problem?

17. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I had a friend with what may be a similar issue.

Her 10.8.5 iMac was fine; her iOS 7 iPhone was fine; but her 10.9 13" MBP had simply stopped showing new emails from gmail and ntlworld, who incidentally use a gmail back end.

I checked all settings were identical between the two Macs and the Connection Doctor on the MBP was showing four greens. Really frustrating.

Then I noticed her Apple ID was linked to a yahoo.co.uk email address, although that email wasn't in use on her MBP. So, to aid diagnosis, I set her up with an iCloud email address, linking that to her Apple ID and enabling email.

As soon as the iCloud address began working on her MBP, the two gmail accounts started retrieving emails from their respective servers.

Problem solved, in her case, although I have no idea why the gmail accounts should effectively be disabled without an iCloud address present in the client.

18. kalex macrumors 65816

mine seems to be syncing. But i have another annoyance. If i reply to any email from mail.app and then load gmail on my android phone, those emails that I replied to have a draft saved. I tried to disable saving draft on the server in mail preferences but it doesn't get saved for some reason. Waiting for 10.9.1 to be released as I saw that it suppose to fix gmail issues.

19. damian thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure if I'm suffering from this problem currently (perhaps it's intermittent—not sure), but I've certainly suffered it from it in the past.

It would have been nice if Apple had done a bit more testing before releasing such a buggy app for what I'm guessing is the most popular email provider in the US.

I've seen a number of people blame Google for their non-standard implementation of IMAP, but that doesn't excuse Apple from releasing such buggy software, IMHO.

Perhaps the problems didn't occur until mail.app for Mavericks was released—assuming the problems are triggered by a large volume of Gmail users using 10.9 mail.app—but I doubt it.

20. olegunnar macrumors member

I have the same problem that most of you experience, however not just with a gmail account.

I have two mail accounts, one gmail and one not, both re-set up after 10.9 installation (i.e. not migrated). I thought it had to do with mail.app napping, as I can usually (but not always) get mail updates a few minutes after I've messed around with the application.

Perhaps 10.9.1 fixes it.

21. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

what is the matter with you?

22. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Nothing is wrong with me. I have a problem with people just giving up their own privacy just to use cool things (like everyone else) and trying to convince me that it all good.

People get on Apple because of iCloud but at least Apple doesn't sell your iCloud info to advertisers like Goole does. People seem to forget Google gets it money from selling the info of it's users to advertisers because it is an advertiser's company. :eek:

23. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i am fundamentally against dog-fighting but i'm not posting articles about it in unrelated stories.

24. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What are you speaking about? I replied to damian that Google did make a change and pointed to article speaking of the change. This was not "dogfighting" and was replying to his question and my first link pointed to a possible fix for Gmail.

25. damian thread starter macrumors member

Update: After archiving some messages on my phone today, I once again found my inbox out of sync on my MacBook. I tried the solution that worked before—taking the account offline, then bringing it back online—but this time, it didn't work. I updated my earlier post about troubleshooting according. Anyone find a solution to this vexing problem?