iPhone GMail no longer pushing

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by twisted-pixel, Sep 19, 2014.

1. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

got the 6 this morning, restored form back up of 5s and I've noticed that my gmail no longer pushes.

tried deleting and recreating the account..rebooting etc...but nothing. It's currently set up as google account since I have had problems in the past setting up as an exchange account.

I noticed that even the option seems to be missing though

under Settings - Mail - Fetch New Data

for exchange I have Push/Fetch/Manual

but for gmail I only have Fetch/Manual

anyone else managed to get this to work? or experienced the same problem?

2. grinny11 macrumors regular

Gmail push went away from everyone several months ago. Some people said it kept working until they restored or updated their device.

Once it's lost, nothing you can do but pay for google for business or use the native google app.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Gmail (for regular free accounts) disabled push for new devices since early last year or so. So any new device activated since then shouldn't have it. Not quite sure how the 5s might have it since it was released after that change.

It certainly wouldn't give push as an option when set up as a Gmail account, Exchange was the way to go, and even then only for devices that were activated before they made this change.

4. twisted-pixel thread starter macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

it's been working on my 5 (and still is)...what a bugger

5. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

CloudMagic works fine. It's another option and much nicer than the native GMail app IMO. Really IMO CloudMagic is the best email client for iOS - an order of magnitude better than anything else out there right now.

What I think is super weird though is that I feel like the email client I was using in 1999 on my PowerBook 145 was better than any of these silly things.

6. wannabepcuser macrumors member

Gmail push works for me on my 5s with the official Gmail app. This device has been setup new several times in the last year.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

The Gmail app supports it as pretty much any app supports push. It's using Gmail in the Mail app basically where the difference comes in.

8. scottuf macrumors 6502

Can you swipe to delete in the gmail app? I can only swipe to archive and can't find the setting to change to delete. Looking at alternative mail apps because of that.