GMAIL no longer responding to MAIL application?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zachary C., Aug 8, 2010.

1. Zachary C. macrumors member

Hi, I have never had a problem before but, recently, my gmail isn't working with the mail application.

I can see sent messages, but the mailbox no longer downloads mail from gmail. My inbox looks empty on the application even but, I logged into gmail on google and all the inbox messages were there.

Anything I can do?

2. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Deleting the Gmail account and then setting it back up fixed it for me.

3. Zachary C. thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, I tried your suggestion and it didn't work.

Anymore suggestions?

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Sign in to your Gmail account, disable and then enable the IMAP set up. Try again in your Mac.

If all your messages are online then try rebuilding the Mail database: Mailbox Menu -> rebuild. Then sync.

If you have some messages in Mail and not in your online account you need to do a backup of those from the mail folders: User/Library/Mail/ and then try to rebuild.

5. crypticlineage macrumors regular

This is off topic, but can someone explain to me what gmail users stand to gain by using Mail? Gmail can do every damn thing that Mail can and then it integrates seamlessly with your iPhone, so why??:rolleyes:

6. Surely Guest

Surely

Who said anything about the iPhone? This is the Mac Application forum. But even on the iPhone, I use the Mail app.

7. crypticlineage macrumors regular

yeah, the iphone reference was irrelevant there. I was basically trying to figure out the need to use Mail when you have gmail.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

I have multiple email accounts (including multiple gmail accounts) and I am able to access them all in one place using the Mail app.

Even if I only had one gmail account, I would still use the Mail app. I like how it's organized.

9. crypticlineage macrumors regular

Are you aware that Gmail can import multiple gmail and external pop accounts and you can access them even when you're not on your Mac?

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I think that most Gmail users do. However, Mail is a much better tool for dealing with email than a web browser.

11. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes, I am.

^^^This.