Gmail on 10.4 with Mail App?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by el-John-o, Dec 16, 2016.

1. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Hey folks!

I searched, assuming this would've been asked a dozen times before, but didn't find the answer; so here goes.

While I'm aware there are other e-mail clients; I'm trying to setup my 17" 1GHz G4 iMac to be as much like it would've been when new. I'm running 10.4 and that's as high as I'm willing to go (I'm having fun digging some of my old 68k and OS 8/9 software out of the closet).

I've created an app-specific password and have done everything else I know to do; but it keeps timing out when mail attempts to contact gmail.

Is there a way for the 10.4 Mail client to communicate with Gmail that anyone is aware of?

Thanks!

-John

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Are you using POP or IMAP?

I'm going to presume that it's IMAP and it's timing out because you don't have the correct port open for it (or SSL is off).

You want port 465 for SMTP and port 993 for IMAP (make sure SSL is checked and that you have your account and password entered for that).

If you're using POP you'll have to look up the settings. The default for POP is usually port 110, but IDK if Gmail uses that or not.

3. el-John-o thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks!

I've tried both IMAP and POP, and the ports were set per Google's documentation. 993/465 for IMAP, which I think are the Mail app's default anyway.

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I've just added my gmail account to Apple Mail as IMAP on the TiBook running Tiger and it's working fine.

In my case it needed an app specific password generating as I've got two factor authentication enabled. The wizard claimed the details were incorrect first time, then worked out it needed SSL security enabling when I tried a second time. Default SMTP server port was incorrect also.

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I too got a gmail account setup on Tiger last night just to verify it still works with Mail, and all is good with IMAP. Are you using your full email address for login name?

6. el-John-o thread starter macrumors 65816

Yep! Bizarre.

I'm not getting any authentication errors; it's a timeout error. Couldn't reach server. I've gone through one by one and double checked every setting. Even deleted and re-added the account in tiger to no avail; always with this timeout error...

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You wouldn't happen to be using a SOCKS proxy through the Network Pref pane would you?

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I've run my email through Tor using a SOCKS proxy before so…yeah. :D

10. el-John-o thread starter macrumors 65816