Gmail on Apple watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by austinted, Mar 18, 2015.

1. austinted macrumors newbie

Does anybody know how email works on the Apple Watch? I am wondering if everybody using Gmail is going to have a problem with push notifications on the Apple watch. On the iPhone the work around is to just run the Gmail app and that works great, but I have not seen evidence of a Gmail app for Apple watch. If push mail notifications on the Apple Watch work the same way as in the mail app on the iPhone, that would leave Gmail users the choice of either forwarding their mail or just using fetch.

2. slvrscoobie macrumors 6502a

slvrscoobie

Gmail works flawlessly on my Pebble. I dont see any reason it wouldnt work just as well (until google releases a watch app) as well on the :apple:watch

3. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

I think it is safe to assume that Google will release a Gmail app for the :apple: Watch. After all, they have very much released all of their apps for iOS.

4. austinted thread starter macrumors newbie

That would make sense, but I am not sure there is much incentive to do it quickly. I guess we'll see.

5. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

It'll work with your iPhone, once your mail app gets a new mail, your phone will alert you. Maybe you can even dictate a reply.

6. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

No issues at all, right now your gmail is configured to arrive into you mail app on your iphone, you can set up different email providers etc. The app will notify you on the apple watch that an e-mail has arrived. Should be flawless.

7. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

If they're using the actual Gmail app, however, you might just see notifications and no be able to do anything with them except dismiss them until Google updates Gmail to support the Watch.

8. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

naturally an app will have to be optimised for the watch to take full advantage. So people who use the Gmail app, will need google to update it.

9. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

I don't see a Gmail app, but email notifications should be the same. If Notifications are anything like every other smartwatch, it will simply sync to your IPhone and all notifications sent to your iPhone will be sent also to Apple Watch.

10. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

But they wouldn't be actionable then (e.g. no quick reply, etc) unless the app is optimized; it's just a notification.

11. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

I would assume Apple would implement actionable notifications across everything. same as actionable notifications on iOS 8. From Apple.com "When email comes right to your wrist, it’s more accessible and easy to manage quickly. You can read an email, flag it, mark it as read or unread, or move it to the Trash. Or open it on your iPhone, where you can type a response." It seems that the only reply that can be made is to Text messages.

12. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

The Gmail app only recently implemented actionable notifications in iOS 8; the app developer has to do their part to take advantage of the APIs to make their notifications actionable. I assume the same will be true of the Watch, where it's possible.

13. kovey macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but who in this forum gives a **** about the pebble?

14. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

It's a point of reference for discussion about what smart watches can and currently do offer. Kind of silly to bar discussing it here just because it doesn't have the Apple logo etched onto it.