Gmail on iPhone not deleting e-mails

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RockTheGlobe, Sep 21, 2010.

1. RockTheGlobe macrumors member

For some reason, a couple of days ago, my iPhone stopped relaying the fact that I've deleted e-mails to the Gmail server -- I'll delete e-mails on my iPhone from my Gmail account, but when I open up Entourage on my laptop, the e-mails that I deleted on my phone appear in my inbox as unread and undeleted. Any idea as to what might have caused this change and how I can go back to the old behavior, where I would delete an e-mail off my iPhone and it would be deleted and wouldn't show up in Entourage?

2. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

Do you have your Gmail account set up as Exchange? If you don't, you should. Set up as Exchange, I've never had that issue.

3. RockTheGlobe thread starter macrumors member

I vaguely recall someone saying something about the iPhone 3GS only being able to handle 1 Exchange account... is that still valid? Because I already have my work e-mail on there as an Exchange account.

4. jmcclain145 macrumors regular

jmcclain145

Under Gmail prefrences do you have archive turned on or off? Maybe thats why the messages aren't deleting?

5. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

Since iOS 4.0 iPhone has been able to use multiple Exchange accounts. It was one of the new features announced with iOS 4. So if 3GS is updated to 4.0 or higher, it will also be able to use multiple Exchange accounts. On my i4, I currently have 4 Exchange accounts set up and they all work fine. FYI, Gmail set up as Exchange shows labels as folders.

6. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

That doesn't matter. Gmail on exchange (activesync) sends ALL deleted emails to archive.

7. jmcclain145 macrumors regular

jmcclain145

Oh my mistake, I must have read over where he said his Gmail account was on Exchange, I thought it was set up as normal... My bad