Gmail on iPhone + WiFi is useless

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VSMacOne, Jun 30, 2010.

1. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I don't know if it's just me, but i've been having nothing but trouble with Gmail on my iPhone. I spend 80% of my time in WiFi areas, so my iPhone is always connected. I NEVER get email from Gmail like it's supposed to. I have it set on fetch every 15 minutes, but sometimes I won't be getting my email until i turn WiFi off.
    Even when I go in to check for emails it just tries and tries but doesn't work until i turn WiFi off. I'm pissed. Who should I direct my unpleasant thoughts to? Google or Apple?
    I also have Yahoo and an Exchange account that work without issue.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

3. Preds macrumors member

I've had great success with the Push Gmail setup via Exchange Server as well. In fact I often get the email alerts on my phone BEFORE they show up in Gmail.

4. VSMacOne thread starter macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I was under the impression that you could only have 1 Exchange account with Push enabled... is that right?

5. xqb4dpx macrumors member

No, iOS 4 allows multiple accounts. Also, since you're saying it only starts to update when you turn WiFi off, it might be a wifi issue.

6. VSMacOne thread starter macrumors 601

VSMacOne

No i'm prety sure it's a Gmail issue. It only happens with the gmail account.

7. VSMacOne thread starter macrumors 601

VSMacOne

8. RynoZebz macrumors regular

I'm also running Gmail through exchange and it's working well but that usually only lasts a couple days. Then I can't delete emails, can't move mail between folders, have the mail up show that I have unread mail but when I check there isn't anything there or the count is off, etc. It sucks because I just switched from Yahoo to GMail and my Yahoo account worked flawlessly with the iPhone. Once I delete the exchange account and set it up again it works fine. Then over a few days it goes crazy again. Thoughts?

9. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I use this too. It works great!

10. hazeydavey macrumors regular

thanks thanks thanks thanks!

Finally this is fixed...was so annoyed with gmail. Now poppin!

11. hazeydavey macrumors regular

One issue still though.

I still have 2 exchange accounts: work and gmail.

95% of the time when I reply from my phone it's to a personal gmail.

Gmail is set as my default email.

Yet, every time the email goes out, it is received as from my work account. Which means if someone replies, they reply to my work address.

Is there a fix I'm missing?

Thanks