GMail on iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lamina, Dec 30, 2007.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I've searched the forums, and found nothing, so here goes:

I have gmail set up on my iPod touch, which is SWEET btw.

Anyway, I now have like 200 'unread' emails on my touch... is there a way to like mass-set them as read? I only want new emails to show in the number attached to the mail icon.

I could delete them all individually if worse comes to worse.

2. rhyndu macrumors regular

You set the account up using POP. Delete that account on the touch, go to your GMail settings, click Forwarding and POP/IMAP and enable IMAP. Then, go to your touch again, setup a new account (custom, not GMail) using IMAP and the problem will be solved.

Yay! Post # 100. I'm a "regular"!

3. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

4. legacyb4 macrumors 6502

Don't forget to configure your IMAP folder settings as well so that everything gets put into the right folders.

Cheers.

5. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

But isn't the whole point of Gmail that you ARCHIVE all these emails, read or unread, so they're out of your Inbox and out of your way? Set up some Rules to take care of this. Maybe automatically archive all your incoming mailing lists so that you never see them unless you WANT to look at them?

6. rhyndu macrumors regular

The problem is that the OP was using POP to get the emails. With POP email & GMail, GMail just downloads all of the mails from Archive, Labels, Inbox, Sent, Drafts, everything other than Spam & Trash, to the mail client.

S/he fixed the issue by making it IMAP instead, so Archived stuff is in folder archive, label "fahlad" stuff is in folder "fahlad", etc, etc.

What confused you I think was that the OP didn't specifiy s/he was using the iTouch mail app :)