Gmail on the web or Mail.app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wngraham, Nov 22, 2010.

1. wngraham macrumors regular

Just curious what other Gmail (or in my case Google Apps) users primarily use? I used Mail.app for years with both my ISP address and old MobileMe account, but since buying my own domain and setting up Google Apps I've been hooked on the Gmail web interface.

Pros and cons of each? Any particular reasons why you use one over the other?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I prefer the native interface of Mail.app and IMAP syncs all my devices nicely. I'm not a fan of the Google interface and labels. Personally I think metatags are a hassle and prefer folders.

3. androiphone macrumors 65816

I prefer the web mainly because it 'in the cloud' so emails are not stored on the computer.

but (I dont know if it is true with mail.app perhaps you can try it out) but if you send an email from within the mail.app to yourself using gmail (to your gmail account) then go into the web interface, select the message then in the little dropdown menu (next to reply) select 'show orriginal message' and see if you can see your home IP address.

that is also one reason I use the web interface (as sent messages only show googles IP address) it is not like the IP address is overly personal but I choose the way that doesnt show it.

4. Caleb531 macrumors 6502

Caleb531

I could use either, and still do sometimes, but I prefer the Gmail interface. It just feels more Web-ish (b/c I enjoy making websites and all that).

5. greezychicken macrumors member

I want to like using Mail.app for Gmail but the Drafts issue is the killer for me. If you have the Store Drafts on Server option saved, Mail.app will save a ton of Drafts in your drafts folder and Trash Can while composing an email.

Unchecking the option to store on the server resolves this but that kind of defeats the purpose of having all your drafts synced between devices.

6. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Mail.app, I like to just click the icon in the dock and it pops up almost instantly and the growl notifications.

7. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Heh. That's exactly the reason I prefer having a real live email client on my computer. My emails are always safely archived, and I can get at 'em without an internet connection (such as when on an airplane).

Having said that, I've fallen into a mode of using gmail most days, and running Thunderbird every week or so to pull down POP'd local copies.

8. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I use Gmail a lot and and what I absolutely HATE about it is not being able to sort columns. That drives me up the wall.

9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Same here. I have finally managed to configure gmail so that it behaves more or less like a pure IMAP server with Mail.app. I'm fine with the web interface, but prefer to use mail and iphone over gmail.