Gmail, other email addresses, can they also push?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sean Dempsey, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I use Gmail for everything. Will it be possible to use MobileMe to have my gmails pushed to the iphone, without any chincy forwarding or anything?

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I think I read that Google is starting to play with the idea of push gmail, but right now it only works on helio phones. Or something like that. Not sure how it would work for mobileme.

3. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

i think gmail is just going to be push capable on the iphone, kind of like yahoo email is now... only it will work properly.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

MobileMe will only affect your @mac.com (or @me.com) email address. Any third party providers will have to provide their own push setup.

5. KingScooty macrumors member

So i'm assuming if you used non .mac email accounts, you'd have to forward them to your .mac (.me) in order to take advantage of the auto sync and push features?

6. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

Well if your email provider uses IMAP (aka gmail) then it 'autosyncs' anyway as the information is stored on the server. The only difference is that it isn't push.

If you want to take advantage of push you would have to forward your gmail to .me (unless google pulls something out of the hat in the next 28 days!!)

7. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

I'm fine with forwarding so long as Apple reinstates the ability to "reply as." No "reply as" function will hurt my hopes for the service because I can't even imagine updating my email address with everyone. If it was as simple as sending out a mass email, that would be cool, the problem is the people that forget to make the change, ignore it, etc...

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yes, and you'd have to pay the annual fee to do that. There's not really any point in forwarding to it besides keeping the same address, as I've always found .mac mail to be more reliable than anything else.

9. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Which is a very possible thing.

http://gizmodo.com/383301/helio-becomes-first-carrier-to-offer-push-gmail

10. KingScooty macrumors member

Shame. I have a gmail account, work account and will soon have a .mac/me account. Would have been cool if you could somehow setup external accounts with the services - i guess it's just not possible :/. I do like gmail but i guess i'll have to make the transition over to the .mac account for my main email.

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

If you're going to do that, I'd suggest leaving both mailboxes running in your mail programs during the transition. I started .mac in 2005 after I had been with gmail for quite a while. So for six months, I would always reply with my @mac.com email but I also had all gmail messages delivered through the same program. It made a smooth transition, but it takes a while.

12. KingScooty macrumors member

How are you coping with spam btw? My gmail account is hounded by the stuff - it filters it very well, but it's still not nice logging in to see 238735 odd messages in the spam box.

13. sir42 macrumors 6502

I have a feeling it's only a matter of time before gmail/Google Apps offers push email/calendars/contacts for iPhone users.

14. KingScooty macrumors member

*prays*

15. sfroom macrumors regular

If google built a native gmail application for the iPhone, they could take advantage of Apple's free push notification service, launching in September, to alert you when an email comes into your gmail account.

In fact...I would think that apple might do it for them. gmail is one of the email providers supported by the mail application on the iphone. I think it's likely that Apple might build push notification into that application.

16. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i dont have a current iPhone so i do not know the answer to this, but would i forward all my gmail to a yahoo account, won't that be pushed to my iPhone 3g? someone please clarify, thanks in advance!

17. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

Annual fee to do what? I currently forward my GMail to another address and I don't pay anything. Or am I missing what you are saying?

18. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

Mobile Me isn't free. You have to pay an annual fee for it.

19. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

There's no fee to actually forward your Gmail to another.

It's just that the MobileMe service specifically costs $99 per year to use (because it comes with website/file hosting and of course, "exchange" for consumers)

On the side: does anyone know if there's going to be an option to choose between @mac.com and @me.com, or is it just going to be @me.com? (mac.com looks nicer in my opinion)

20. skrutzen macrumors regular

In theory, yes. Unfortunately, Yahoo! mail never pushes. I opened an email account with Yahoo! specifically for that and it never worked, so I don't use it.

As far as Gmail pushing, when I had a Blackberry 8700, the emails pushed every time but I think that had something to do with the Blackberry data plan I had with T-Mo. It was nice always getting my emails in a timely manner. I can go all day and not receive an email on my iPhone and the I get to a computer and check my Gmail and I have unread messages. Very annoying.

21. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

GMail pushes to BlackBerry because of the type of plan you had, just like you assumed.

22. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

Where, when, and how did I say MobileMe was free? I said I have never paid anything to forward GMail....

23. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

akonradi replied to KingDaddy saying that it costs money to forward messages to MobileMe because the MobileMe service isn't free.

Then you replied to akonradi thinking that they meant forwarding to ANY email costed money.

But if you look above, KingDaddy was referring to MobileMe only...not Yahoo, Gmail, etc.

24. svtguy08 macrumors member

I sure hope Gmail gets a pushed feature cause that is my primary email as well.

25. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Gmail already has Push. At least, thats how it works on my K800i.:confused: