Gmail Outage

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Wingnut330, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

3. benfischer macrumors newbie

According to gmail's website, it went down for 2 hours, they are sorry about it and all email will be delivered. Since I didn't check my mail during those two hours, I never even noticed. Apple went down for days, all while their web page said everything was running fine, until they were shamed into admitting there was a problem and they ended up losing email for some unspecified number of (paying) customers.

Yeah, I'd say it's about the same thing. :rolleyes:

4. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hear ya, but my point is that they are all suspect. Those bragging about their 100% up Gmail service experienced their first issue.

What bothers me is that Gmail is free and STILL has better reliability than a service I pay $100 a year for!

5. Diaresi macrumors regular

Actually IMAP was still available during the outage :D

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

They had an outage with the Contacts part of the system which was causing the webmail client to fail to load. Nothing was lost and it was only down for a couple of hours.

We feel your pain, and we're sorry.

7. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

It's not just the reliability. I can also sync my Google contacts with Exchange which apparently Apple can't (or won't) figure out how to do.

8. TLewis macrumors 65816

Meh, I don't think anyone's been pimping "100% gmail reliability". I've only seen claims that gmail appears to be much more reliable than MM mail. Besides, look at the gmail outage: what was it -- something like 3 hours? And, when was the last time? A month or two back? Compare and contrast this to the MM "comments" here and on Apple's website.

I've been pushing a combined gmail/MM solution, because I don't think Apple has the expertise to pull off a large-scale operation that's comparable to gmail:
    • Gmail has secure web mail access. MM doesn't. This is something that Apple should be able to do, and I'm surprised that they haven't already done it.

• Gmail has unlimited server-side mail filtering (well, there is a limit on the number of rules that can autoforward mail). I don't see how Apple can ever provide this. If Apple took 1-2 weeks to fix a mail server outage, I'd hate to think how MM would melt down if Apple implemented unlimited server-side filtering.

Heh, better get used to it.

Oh, and before anyone labels me an "MM hater", note that I'm almost certainly going to sign up for MM. I'm just going to wait another month or so for Apple to stabilize their web subscription system.

9. TLewis macrumors 65816

At this point, Google is something of a competitor, and so it may be in Apple's interest to not sync with Google contacts. For example, if Google ever implements activesync, I think a lot of (mostly non-Mac?) people would dropkick MM. If all you need is push email, contacts, and calendar, google would then have it all -- probably for free, and probably much, much more reliably.

And, let's not forget Google Android. Of all the iphone wannabees, Android is probably the only one with a chance. Yeah, it's still a long shot, but I think Android has a decent chance.

10. bilboa macrumors regular

This is just a straw man. I haven't seen any claims that GMail is 100% reliable, just that it's much more reliable than MobileMe has been. This one instance of a couple hours of unavailability, with no data loss, doesn't convince me otherwise.

11. TLewis macrumors 65816

MacRumors's own calculations aren't pretty: http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/12/two-weeks-later-mobile-mes-uptime-calculated-96/

... and that's just for the past two (2) weeks. For more fun, read the comments: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=542506

12. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I'm definitely not going to renew. Sure many services have outages at times, but I've never had a paid service that had as many glitches and outages as MobileMe/Mac.com.

In my experience (going on 2 years now) it has consistently sucked, and I'm done waiting for it to reach the level I've come to expect from Apple products. I'm sure not everyone who uses the service has had as poor luck as I have, but enough is enough!