Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UrbanTomato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
I hope somebody can help me because this is giving me a headache :confused:

I'm a PC girl, recently moved into a Mac world for my new job.

My firm uses gmail for mail and I have been issued a new MacBook Air (latest/greatest).

Back in my PC world, I use Outlook 2010 for all of my mail and calendaring. All mail comes into my inbox and I read and file it into folders/subfolders. Whatever is left in my inbox (ideally very few messages) are things I need to take action on. This works for me, and is what I want to achieve on my Mac.

People at work told me that Outlook 2011 on the Mac is a mess, and that emails disappear and reappear and have advised me against it. They told me to just use the gmail via web browser. I find it too cumbersome - so many emails and hard to sort them. I can create folders, but not the same way I do in Outlook, and not with nested subfolders (or at least I haven't figured out how).

When I said I didn't like it, people suggested Sparrow. I started using that, but still find folders cumbersome.......AND I have to use gmail to create the folders.

I want to make a move back to Outlook, and make it work.

I need help with the following:

- set up Outlook with proper settings (this includes setting it up from the Outlook app, with proper ports, etc. AND going into gmail to configure - e.g. "leave messages on server" (or not))
- a strategy for taking all of my mail (a few hundred messages) and getting it out of the folders I created in gmail (and am using in Sparrow) and properly into Outlook with the folders the way I'd like them structured
- an ongoing workflow to keep everything working properly. (note - I also read mail on my iPhone and iPad2) so that I don't lose mail.
- lastly (I think!) - I have been told that while using Outlook 2011 calendar, I won't be able to see the availability of other team members and need to use Google calendar instead. True or is there a workaround?

I'm determined to get this working properly. I know somebody here is smart enough to figure out how!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
If you set up your account in Outlook it should make all of the various folders you've created in GMail visible and accessible in Outlook. From there you can just drag them into a .pst file. Directions on setting up Outlook with Gmail can be found with a Google search.

UrbanTomato

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
If you set up your account in Outlook it should make all of the various folders you've created in GMail visible and accessible in Outlook. From there you can just drag them into a .pst file. Directions on setting up Outlook with Gmail can be found with a Google search.

Thanks for the reply, but:

a) the folders are not visible after setup.
b) I already have Googled, and there are varying answers and also don't cover the specifics of my situation (needing to clean up after using a different email reader, workflow and maintenance for multiple devices and group calendaring).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.