Gmail password incorrect (getting locked?)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nitekram, Mar 16, 2011.

1. nitekram macrumors newbie

Sorry, if this has been posted before, did a search and did not find anything.

I have tried all sorts of methods to be able to get email/contacts/calendar from my gmail account. But, what happens is it works for a few days then it says the password is wrong. I then have to go to this site and put my info in to get my account unlocked - and then magically the iPhone stops telling me my password is wrong.

Any ideas if this is going to be fixed or what I should do to resolve the issue. Just to let you know how confusing this is - if I were to just go to my gmail account before going to the link above - it lets me in fine, does not say anything about my password being wrong. And also when I first set up the account on the iPhone it does not say that it is a bad password and I save the password, so what could be the issue?

2. patp Guest

it's a known issue and for most the issue just seems to fix itself after a few hours. It's intermittent and just crops up every now and then. I never had to go in and reset anything. It just fixed itself after a while. Some times within a few minutes, some times a few hours.

3. nitekram thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try that next time and see if it fixes itself - thanks.

4. nitekram thread starter macrumors newbie

That links explains what I have been doing - thanks for your help.

5. kicko macrumors 65816

this has happened to me twice, each time it was after headphones were plugged in. Does that mean anything .. i'm not sure but if it does happen simply turn the phone off and then back on. It has worked for me each time.

6. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

The unlock captcha seems to only fix it temporarily, though, and then within the day (possibly shorter, I'm not sure) it's borked again. I've also tried deleting my Gmail account off the iPhone and setting it up again, and this too is only a temporary fix.

The thing is, the constant barrage of "incorrect password" pop-ups (not to mention what I'm sure is the iPhone's constant attempt to fetch my mail) is KILLING my battery life. Since I got my iPhone, the battery would still be at 90% or better by the end of most days...but after this "incorrect password" crap started, my phone dies halfway through the day.

For now I've just turned off push for mail/calendar/contacts (which kinda negates the point of having email set up on the device to begin with, especially since this is a blanket setting for all accounts). But I HOPE that's not the only/long-term solution.

...Has anyone been able to figure out a permanent fix for this?