Gmail Phone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by posnera, Aug 27, 2010.

1. posnera macrumors regular

I know it is new, but is there a way to make calls on the iPhone using the Gmail Phone?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Quick searching won't hurt!

someone asked the same exact question just yesterday : http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1002163

Feature was released just 2 days ago, you need to give developer and google time to develop something. I am sure since it is a web protocol that it won't be long.

3. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

The gmail phone is synced with my google voice account. People can call my google voice number and I can answer it with gmail phone or my iPhone.

However I believe to make calls with my iPhone I first have to call my google voice number as there isn't a dedicated app like I had on my blackberry.

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Why would we need to make phone calls through GMail? Just use the Google Voice webapp on your iPhone or the other Cydia GV apps to use the "gmail" phone. Or, are you talking about something else entirely?

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

form what I understood of it, gmail voice calls basically runs through wifi on you computer. Original GV on our phones use minutes not data to connect so when they update the mobile version I guess we could use GV w/out mins using just data services from our carriers!

6. chadam macrumors member

chadam

Exactly

At the end of the day my goal is to be able to make and receive calls via gmail over data or wifi, not voice. I agree it is a new offering for google. Time will tell. Although, somewhere out there, there must be a programmer working on this as we speak and if he or she is I and the rest of the community would like to hear about it.

7. posnera thread starter macrumors regular

I'd like to make calls over wifi, not 3g.

8. chadam macrumors member

chadam

GV and other googlevoice aps are a bit cumbersome

Why mess around with all the hacks and have a dedicated email/voice call scenario. Complete integration and convenience from the Google brand. Simplicity would be key. Because as of now making calls over 3g or wifi over gv is a confusing and cumbersome recipe if you are trying to skirt having to pay/use carrier voice minutes.

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I think you meant: I'd like to make calls over wifi & 3G DATA without using any of my precious minutes ;)

10. bloody macrumors member

11. posnera thread starter macrumors regular

No, I meant what I said. I have a terrible cellular dead zone at work with good wifi coverage. I don't care about the minutes.

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

ahh I see and understand you completely now, brick walls are the worst enemy of new technology! can you hook up a microcell tower to your work wifi to run 3G for the people in the office that have AT&T (I think up to 20 people can use a m.tower)? I don't think people would mind to pitch in to buy it if you are all having the same loss of signal... now the IT person is another story....

13. posnera thread starter macrumors regular

The IT department definitely won't actively allow it. However, if it works through the firewall, they probably won't notice and would just make me take it down if they do.

The Google call would still be a nice feature.

14. chadam macrumors member

chadam

Carlanga nailed it

Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
    I think you meant: I'd like to make calls over wifi & 3G DATA without using any of my precious minutes

Yes. I would prefer to make calls over wifi and 3G data opposed to using my cell minutes on ATT. A this point I have the lowest calling plan ATT offers for iPhones and would prefer to make my calls over data, why pay for voice when I have all this data available....