Gmail POP Access Bug?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thewhitehart, Apr 21, 2007.

1. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I just configured Apple Mail to download my gmail messages via POP. My place of employment blocks gmail.com for some reason.

My problem is, whenever I send a message from my gmail account via the web interface, Apple Mail downloads the sent copy via POP into its gmail inbox, instead of its gmail sent box.

Is this a bug? When I send gmail out from Apple Mail, a copy gets put in the local sent folder, as well as gmail's sent folder. This seems normal.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, this is normal behavior. POP protocol will only bring over messages from the Inbox folder, it will not sync any other folder.

If it bugs you, set up a rule in mail.app that moves any messages for which you are the sender from your inbox to your sent mail box.

3. hopejr macrumors 6502

This is normal gmail behaviour. All sent messages in gmail become part of the conversation (or start a conversation), and conversations are stored in the inbox. So, this is why they are downloading into your inbox in Apple Mail.

4. thewhitehart thread starter macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Ah, I get the picture now. Thanks! I should've realized that the first sent email was part of the "conversation," and therefore would be stored in the inbox.

I guess I was trying to do things the "email" way instead of the "gmail" way, sort of like when new mac users try to do things the windows way and get frustrated. :D

[RANT]Unfortunately, it's all for naught anyway, as my employer is blocking pop access to Gmail as well as web access. I can't seem to figure out if the firewall is site orientated, javascript orientated, or just happens to block access to pop and smtp ports. IMAP .mac works, but I use Gmail most of all. What's silly is that my co-worker regularly watches movies streaming on Winmix and that seems to be alright. There is no logic to the firewall where I work, it even blocks our department's own website.
    [/RANT]

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, what I do is create an offline folder that houses sent mail from all accounts. I have a rule that automatically moves mail from the GMail inbox to there if I am the sender. It works really nicely. I manually archive other sent mail there. It's not normal POP behavior, but it is better than not having easy access to those sent mails.

Even with IMAP, if a mail is sent through the web interface of the IMAP provider (e.g. AOL, my Uni account, etc), the sent items do not go to my sent folder, but rather sit on a different IMAP sent folder (and vice versa -- the sent folder of Mail doesn't sync with the one on IMAP as far as I've seen).

6. thewhitehart thread starter macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Funny, I noticed that for the first time last night when I sent a mail from the .mac web interface to my Gmail account, so I could take the ibook to work and see if it allowed me access to Gmail through POP. The outgoing mail went to a different IMAP sent folder. If I had sent the .mac mail through Apple Mail, it would've immediately of been downloaded to the Gmail POP mailbox. My experiment required me to perform the next mail check at work to see if the firewall would let me through to Gmail via POP. Oh well, it didn't work :(