Gmail POP not working

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jackc, Oct 9, 2007.

1. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I'm able to access the gmail website, but Mail is not connecting, that's never happened before, but I didn't change any passwords or prefs so I'm not sure what happened. I'm just seeing that little exclamation point symbol. If I click on it, it says "The connection to the server "pop.gmail.com" on port 0 timed out."

Any idea what might be going on?

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That message gives a big clue to me about what's going on - sounds like your port settings for the server are wrong. It's accidentally been set to port 0, which obviously won't work because requests on port 0 are, by definition, invalid.

To fix this go into your account settings, select the GMail account, and make sure the port is set correctly. The settings you need should be on the Google Mail site somewhere.

4. jackc thread starter macrumors 65816

jackc

Weird, it just started working again.

All I did was try to send an outgoing message, it wouldn't send it, I canceled it, then my incoming mail came in.

Thanks anyway.

Edit: might have spoke too soon, it's not connecting again. My outgoing server is set to port 587

5. airmax922 macrumors member

did you enable the pop access under setting, forwarding and POP in your gmail account. and for the incoming, it need to use port 995 and the username need to have the @gmail.com too

6. pungohboy macrumors newbie

Ok I am having the same problem. My gmail has been setup and working for a month or more. Maby Gmail is having a problem? I have 2 different gmail accounts setup under Mail both give the same error.

7. jackc thread starter macrumors 65816

jackc

Must have been something on gmail's end, mine seems to be working now

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

My Gmail account works fine via POP3. Look at the instructions on Google's website.

9. pungohboy macrumors newbie

We must be on different servers. Mine is still down.

The instructions havent changed since I setup my gmail, my wifes gmail is working fine on her macbook. It will clear up eventually i guess.

10. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I'm having the same problem on all of my computers and my iPhone, with all 3 of my gmail accounts. I've been using the same information for over a year and it's always worked. I think that it's just a problem at their end.

11. pungohboy macrumors newbie

Yea I just jumped on Gmails help discussion http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Help-Discussion and there are several others with the same problem. I am surprised Google hasnt said anything yet.

12. vjb macrumors newbie

Gmail doesn't work in Apple Mail anymore

Same as other users, I can not receive gmail in Apple Mail anymore. Didn't change any settings, checked that all settings are as shown in the Gmail instructions for setting up the account. Sending still possible.. And I haven't been able to find anything useful on Gmail forums to solve this.
    Does anyone have a clue what is going on?:mad:

13. pungohboy macrumors newbie

They must be working it out, both my accounts are working now. Hope it straightens out for you.

14. LaloLanda macrumors newbie

I had exactly this same problem. Turns out late versions of Mail offer some SOCKS proxy support and I had my SOCKS proxy turned on (but for no reason). Then if this is your case (SOCKS proxy on for no reason), turn it off and it all works fine :)