Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
By 'pull' do you mean how often the phone checks for new mail? If so you can just change the setting from: Settings > Mail.

Hooray if push is coming to Gmail!

FortWorthMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
the parched earth of North Texas
By 'pull' do you mean how often the phone checks for new mail? If so you can just change the setting from: Settings > Mail.

Hooray if push is coming to Gmail!

Thanks for the reply.

I must be missing something. I do not see the setting to select how often to update or check for mail.

I'm in Settings, Mail. It was my understanding that one could not change the "poll time" with the iPhone. If so, please prove me wrong.

Thanks
David

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Sorry, I didn't have my phone in front of me.

To change the settings for periodic checks, it's in: Settings > Fetch New Data (#4 in the menu).

Self explanatory from there.

haddman

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Well, I think if they do it through and exchange protocol that is BS, as the iPhone can only support 1 exchange account. I mean, if they can do push from mobile me & yahoo, why can't Google do it with out using Exchange? You are Google, the biggest internet company in the world for crying out loud!! For people who do not use the iPhones for work email at all will be fine, but if you use the Exchange protocol than you scew a lot of your users who might alreadly be tied to an Corporate Exchange server.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Sorry, I didn't have my phone in front of me.

To change the settings for periodic checks, it's in: Settings > Fetch New Data (#4 in the menu).

#3 in the menu, but otherwise you are correct!

To the O.P. - Fetch is the official word for "pull" and it means exactly what you're using "pull" for in your post. Once you know that, the settings menu should be very simple for you.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Hello all,

Since we are still waiting for Gmail/Apple to come up with true push mail for the iPhone (take this FWIW http://www.iphonematters.com/article/push_gmail_coming_to_iphone_218/) can someone please advise how often Gmail's "pull" gets updated on the iPhone?

Thanks
David

I have true push email on my iPhone. MobileMe works fine. :)

For my IMAP Gmail and my other POP3 accounts, I poll at 15min intervals but you can change it to 15min, 30min, Hourly or Manually. I guess I'd welcome push Gmail if it saved me some battery life. :)

gvincent

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2008
Hoover, AL
Push?

I have my Gmail set to forward to my MobileMe acct which, in turn, is set to push on my iPhone

Voila....PUSH Gmail, works like a charm!!:D

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I have my Gmail set to forward to my MobileMe acct which, in turn, is set to push on my iPhone

Voila....PUSH Gmail, works like a charm!!:D

But don't you then have to switch from Mobile-Me over to G-Mail to reply to people?

And I use "reply" loosly, since you have to start fresh with a new e-mail, meaning that any threading that their e-mail program does will be totally messed up.

Basically, it seems like more trouble for you and more of a pain for everyone else.

If push is THAT important, why not just ditch G-Mail and just use the Mobile-Me account?

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
And I use "reply" loosly, since you have to start fresh with a new e-mail, meaning that any threading that their e-mail program does will be totally messed up.
Actually, you can change the From address while composing a reply on the phone. Tap on the Cc/Bcc, From line and you get a selection wheel to choose another account. I didn't know about that until I read it somewhere on this forum, but it does work. Unfortunately for me, it won't let you add an address for an account that isn't on the iPhone itself, though. I'd like to be able to do that to be able to reply to work email that won't sync with the iPhone, but which can be forwarded to a gmail account.

I don't care much about push myself. My email being fetched every 30 minutes is fine enough for me, and it is supposed to save battery life over push. I don't even use push for my MobleMe account.

haddman

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
I don't care much about push myself. My email being fetched every 30 minutes is fine enough for me, and it is supposed to save battery life over push. I don't even use push for my MobleMe account.

That's another thing that miffs me about Apples push email, it sucks your battery life from bad to terrible. I would love to use push email on my iPhone 24/7, but I hate dealing with the battery drain that it causes, so I fetch every hour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.