Gmail Pulling All Accounts Without Permission From Mac Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by helptheconfused, Mar 18, 2015.

1. helptheconfused macrumors newbie

Hi all, I just added gmail to my mac mail app. I now see all of my other non-gmail emails in gmail. How is gmail able to pull my other mail over? Is there a setting I can turn off or is this default?

All I did was add an account in Mac Mail. I have not adjusted settings in gmail to allow this and no other accounts are connected to gmail. This should be a one way sync- just like when I add any other account in Mac Mail (yahoo or other imap accounts).

Would really appreciate help, as I definitely don’t want gmail to have any of my other mail. Now that they have been sucked in- can I delete them from gmail without affecting my email on my mac (any of my accounts)?

2. MLinneer macrumors regular

MLinneer

Are you sure you're not seeing the unified Inbox? I have iCloud, Gmail, Hotmail, Verizon, and Yahoo accounts and I see all incoming emails in the Inbox. Below that, I have each individual account. In the message list, on the right hand side below the date stamp, it says what account the email is from. None the accounts are pulling or seeing messages from the other accounts.

3. helptheconfused thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for your response.

To clarify, I mean logging in to gmail on a web browser and seeing all of my iCloud, Yahoo and other imap emails (accounts that I never added to gmail) inside of gmail. All of my non-gmail emails have landed inside of gmail in a folder called All Mail.

I have disabled the new gmail account in Mac Mail to halt the pulling, but it does seem like there is some syncing still happening.

I'd like to add gmail to my mac- but not if gmail is grabbing everything else.

4. MLinneer macrumors regular

MLinneer

I'm sorry I have no idea. I'm not seeing the same behavior. The only emails that show in All Mail are emails that I've received or sent from my Gmail account.

5. helptheconfused thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again.

Yes, this is the first time a couple of us have seen this behavior. Makes no sense. We have checked my settings in gmail- the settings should not allow this to happen.

Anyone else have any ideas?

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Are you most recent (the ones received since you noticed this) non-Gmail emails in there, or has it stopped?

7. helptheconfused thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for responding.
    Not sure what you're asking... The 8k or so icloud/yahoo etc emails that I see in gmail go way back to 2004. It hadn't finished pulling over all my email because I realized what it was doing and went into Apple Mail and disabled that newly added gmail account. Because I disabled it in Mail it has stopped. But it seems that because of this I can't have gmail in Mac Mail with out it pulling all of my email accounts- which is very odd.

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I was thinking that perhaps you inadvertently copied or moved email over to the archive folder in Gmail. If that's what happened you wouldn't see any new mail moving over there. It's a kind of accidental thing that might happen, particularly when using a trackpad.

Starting a Gmail account in Mac Mail, under normal circumstances, doesn't transfer any mail from other accounts to folders in the Gmail account.

9. helptheconfused thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again Brian.

I wasn't logged into gmail at the time. I was in Mail, opened the prefs and added the gmail account. It was still populating a couple hours later, which I thought was weird, since I don't have that much in gmail. That's when I noticed the All Mail folder in the Mail sidebar. It contained all my 'regular' emails. Freaked me out, so I logged into gmail in a browser and there they all were! (all my icloud, yahoo and work emails)

I agree it shouldn't be pulling my other accounts- I have gmail set up on my phone and nothing weird there. Have all sorts of accounts set up in Mail- never anything like this until I added gmail to Mac Mail.